W2k3 appliance edition, cannot communicate with server on network
i have a server that is an old iomega 400r running windows server 2003 appliance edition. for some reason the server cannot communicate over the network. here are the troubleshooting steps that i have done so far: updated NIC driver ran netsh winsock reset & netsh int ip reset ran chkdsk replaced network cable tried different port on switch. tried second nic on server nic set to auto negotiate. diagnostic tests from server KVM: server name: srvnas5 & ip address: 10.0.10.12 (static) ping 127.0.0.1 -success ping 10.0.10.12 - sucess ping srvnas5 - success ping 10.0.0.1 - gateway - failed ping srvfs2 - file server - failed ping 10.0.10.1 - DC - failed ping yahoo.com - failed If i clear the static ip and have it set to obtain an IP automatically it will not obtain an IP from the DHCP server. DHCP is working as all others machines on network are functioning. in the event log on that server there was an error event id: 2503: The server did not bind to any transports. The server could not start. i have been unable to find a resolution, any help would be appreciated.
July 20th, 2011 12:52pm

Might check Device Manager for errors. Also try another network interface if possible. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2011 8:43pm

no errors in device manager i tried another interface on the server and the result is the same, still cant access anything on the network or internet by ip or dns.
July 21st, 2011 12:25am

Hi, Thank you for your post. It seems that your server has been isolated from your network. First, your server (10.0.10.12) connects same switch that DC connects(10.0.10.1)? Is the default gateway ip correct?(10.0.0.1 not 10.0.10.1?) Please post your server and DC ipconfig/all result to us for analysis. If you network exists vlan, please check your switch vlan settings and reboot your switch. Run tracert gateway/DC/fileserver ip address to find the packet stop on which hops. Directly connect a laptop to the server NIC to test if there are system/hardware issue not network issue. If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.Regards, Rick Tan
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 21st, 2011 3:38am

Hi, Thank you for your post. It seems that your server has been isolated from your network. First, your server (10.0.10.12) connects same switch that DC connects(10.0.10.1)? yes same core switch in datacenter. Is the default gateway ip correct?(10.0.0.1 not 10.0.10.1?) yes default gateway is correct. we run a 10.0.x.x/16 network scheme here. Please post your server and DC ipconfig/all result to us for analysis. If you network exists vlan, please check your switch vlan settings and reboot your switch. no vlans currently being used. switches are flat. Run tracert gateway/DC/fileserver ip address to find the packet stop on which hops. Directly connect a laptop to the server NIC to test if there are system/hardware issue not network issue. i have not done this test. everything else on the network is working fine, data is flowing still. If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know. Regards, Rick Tan we just scrapped that server, it was old and out of space anyway. we moved everything over to a newer server and put server 2008 std on it.
July 25th, 2011 9:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics