W2K3 Servers hang on Shutdown after Windows Updates
I have two windows 2003 servers (Dell 1800 and T300) that both hang on shutdown ONLY after Windows update – but ALL the time. If you hit the spacebar it shows “windows is shutting down” but then the spacebar will kick it into gear and it will then complete doing the restart. There is no user logged on as I ensure that. I thought initially it was caused by the KVM switch in that it appeared to only be the one not active on the switch so I attached USB Keyboards and mice. However, today it was both servers so that wasn’t the cause. I have Googled it and there are other people with the same issue, but not even a suggestion of a resolution. Unfortunately in the Event Viewer, the last log is “The event viewer service stopped” therefore there is no other logs. I could just turn off updates but that is risky and there isn’t a time when I could do a manual restart every week. Any Suggestions or ideas? I have seen it with Windows XP machines once in awhile. I am wondering if it is a service or something that is causing it to hang. I am trying to figure out any tools I can use to troubleshoot it. We are using WSUS Sp2 to update lforbes
June 16th, 2011 6:52pm

Hi, Please test the issue in Clean Boot first. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 What’s the result in Clean Boot? If the issue persists in Clean Boot, please also try to uninstall the installed updates to check the result. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 17th, 2011 6:30am

Hi, Please test the issue in Clean Boot first. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 What’s the result in Clean Boot? If the issue persists in Clean Boot, please also try to uninstall the installed updates to check the result. Regards, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Umm These are Windows 2003 SERVERs, not an XP Workstations so they can't just be taken offline. It already doesn't have anything running except the standard Windows Services. Also the issue is duplicated on both of them and it has been happening for 12 months now so it isn't just a specific update. Someone mentioned something about if the monitor goes to sleep then it has difficulty waking up to shut down. I have disabled the screen saver and the power sleep options for the .default user registry so we will see tonight if that fixes it for tomorrow.lforbes
June 17th, 2011 8:03am

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2011 9:57am

Hello, I have also this problem now for years: - for me it's on HP Proliant G5 - it is specific to Windows 2003 (4 machines); Windows 2008 server were never affected. - it's systematic, every time there is an update - just pressing the space bar is making the update process to continue, to restart the machine - we had to organize until now critical update one morning each week with somebody available to press the space bar... What was the solution ?
December 26th, 2012 9:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics