W2008 Std x64bit (SP2)
Can anyone help with the following? Have a VM running W2008, Standard Edition, x64, service pack 2. When I log on locally to server, I have the rights to edit & save existing text documents, however, when I log on to domain, with an account that is seen as a member of the local administrators, I cannot save the changes to the text document - getting an error message: Cannot create the 'Name of file'. Make sure that the path and file are correct.Permissions haven't been altered, so are set as they were when server OS was loaded. I can run the same task on another identical W2008 Server with no issues, just cannot see where or what the differences are. The other strange thing is, when logged on with the domain account, within Explorer when I either right click and choose New, or select File & New from menu, the only option I have is to create a New Folder, when I'm logged in as the local administrator account I can sucessfully create New - Folder, Shortcut, Bitmap Image, Text Document, Compressed Folder etc..
August 28th, 2009 7:00pm

It may be a GPO/policy, check to see what OU the server is in (compared to other the servers) and run RSOP to see what polices are being applied to both the user and machine.-Ken
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2009 9:52am

Hi, I'd like to confirm whether you have UAC enabled. The domain user you have seen as a member of the local administrators has some restriction, any operation from your domain user account that requires elevation of privilege will prompt the user to approve the operation. If you modify a file created by another user, you may can't modify and save it directly. UAC Group Policy Settings http://technet.microsoft.com/ja-jp/library/dd835564(WS.10).aspx Best Regards, Vincent Hu
September 1st, 2009 1:06pm

Hi Vincent,That's it exactly. When I disable UAC, my domain admin account has the access to create folders & office documents on the root of C:\, and carry out all other tasks that I was blocked doing. So for this particular account, UAC will remain disabled. Thank you both for replying to my query.Kind Regards,
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2009 4:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics