Visual Studio - ERROR when importing controls from a DLL

I am trying to import custom controls (in the toolbox) into
visual studio (namely Service Manager Authoring Tools for those who are
familiar).

I click "Choose Items" in the toolbox to add the custom controls.
They are WPF tools, so I click on WPF and browse to the assemblies
(located within the installation folder for the Service Manager
Authoring Tool) and open them, it successfully loads the list of
controls and I can choose which ones I want (for example listpicker).
However when I click close it gives me a notification:

The following controls were successfully added to the toolbox but are not enabled in the active designer

and proceeds to list a number of controls including listpicker. Thereby not allowing me to use it from the toolbox.

The .NET framework version of the project I am working on is 3.5, so I
am assuming it is loading a 4.0 version of the tool hence not allowing
me to use it. However, this doesn't make sense because the Authoring
Tool also uses framework 3.5, and I am able to use the tool within it.

Do I have to find a 3.5 version of the assembly or is there a way to
configure Visual Studio to accept the tool? If any information is
required from me please tell me and I will provide. Thanks in advance!

The three .dll's are:

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.Controls.dll
Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.ExtendedControls.dll
Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SMControls.dll
June 20th, 2014 7:54pm

take a look at this post that discusses using the authoring tool controls in visual studio. I have personally used this method to create custom forms in visual studio, even thou I still regret the experience.
  • Edited by Thomas Bianco Monday, June 23, 2014 2:24 PM it helps if i post the full message.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 23rd, 2014 5:18pm

take a look at this post that discusses using the authoring tool controls in visual studio. I have personally used this method to create custom forms in visual studio, even thou I still regret the experience.
  • Edited by Thomas Bianco Monday, June 23, 2014 2:24 PM it helps if i post the full message.
June 23rd, 2014 5:18pm

Hello Thomas,

That is the specific blog post I followed and unfortunately it does not work... If you scroll to the bottom of that page there is another user who is complaining about my specific problem and even has posted a screenshot of it (http://i.imgur.com/j4RBsod.png). Any yes, this is a horrible experience lol

June 23rd, 2014 5:37pm

Looks like project' template issue. What template did you select during creation of the solution\project?
June 23rd, 2014 11:18pm

User Control Library template to create the project. Added all references. Code is fine. and target .NET version is 3.5.
June 24th, 2014 5:26pm

Hey

Try to change the Project to .NET Framework 4/4.5 to add the controls. That should work. Once available from the Toolbox, change back to .NET Framework 3.5. That should also do the trick.

Cheers
Marcel

June 24th, 2014 11:35pm

Hello Marcel,

I tried this approach but unfortunately it did not work :( 

Just to be clear, I opened the existing project, changed the target framework from 3.5 to 4.0, saved and rebuilt the solution, closed and reopened it (just to be safe), added the tools to the toolbox and got the same error.

So, I removed the added tools, reverted back to 3.5 saved, closed, and re-opened. Changed to 4.5, re-added the tools successfully this time, saved, closed, and re-opened. Changed framework back to 3.5 and tools disappeared on their own...

I posted this same question in a Visual Studio forum and someone suggested perhaps using an older version of VStudio (2010 or 2012) would work. I have not tried this so I can't tell you if this works or not, but I do highly doubt it. I have submitted feedback to Microsoft Engineers and hope they provide a solution (which I will post here if they do) or work on a fix. Thanks everyone for your attempts.

June 25th, 2014 3:55pm

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/905629/visual-studio-error-when-importing-controls-from-a-dll

Here's the link everyone. So anyone else who has further inquires should be directed here I guess. Thanks for your help Marcel & Thomas, I hope both of you have a great day!

• Marked as answer by SirLearnAlot Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:27 PM
June 25th, 2014 4:27pm

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/905629/visual-studio-error-when-importing-controls-from-a-dll

Here's the link everyone. So anyone else who has further inquires should be directed here I guess. Thanks for your help Marcel & Thomas, I hope both of you have a great day!

• Marked as answer by SirLearnAlot Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:27 PM
June 25th, 2014 4:27pm

it's working thanks for your suggestion! 
February 9th, 2015 5:33am

what is working?
February 9th, 2015 5:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics