Vista users unable to change password on Windows 2003/2008 AD domain
Hi, Since installing our first Windows 2008 servers into the domain, our Windows Vista users have been unable to change their passwords. They are able to change the password if they log onto a Windows XP machine, but not on Vista machines. When trying to change the password they enter the old password and then type in the new one and confirm, then they get a message saying that the username or password is incorrect. I know it's not the user typing in the wrong password, because it happens all the time and several different IT staff have remotely controlled the Vista machines and tried changing the passwords and received the same error. It seems to occur when the users allow the password to expire, however even if we manually reset the password is ADUC they are unable to change the password.
May 8th, 2009 2:06am

Hi, The root cause should be the synchronization between the server and Vista PCs. If the Vista time is 2+ minutes faster than its logon DC time, and then domain user couldnt modify password on this Vista machine. Here is the things happening under the surface, before changing password on Vista, Vista will apply a special ticket, and its life time is 2 minutes (hardcoded), from the current time to 2 minutes later (related to DC time). Before Vista changes password, it checks if this special ticket expires, and it just check if this tickets end time is earlier than the current time, if so, it treats it as expired. Afterward, changing password fails. Please try to sync time on Vista with its logon DC, then you should be able to change the password. Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 8th, 2009 1:40pm

Ah, that sounds like it could be the problem. I'll have to let the helpdesk guys know to check the time on the machine the next time a Vista user reports this issue. Then I'll be able to come back and confirm.Thank you. :)
May 8th, 2009 2:25pm

Asterix, did you get this sorted? I reckon I have the same issue.Thanks,Thad
September 4th, 2009 5:25pm

It appears our problem has disappeared for the moment. We were having some time issues when it was happening.
September 5th, 2009 7:14am

Hi Vincent, I know your last reply was a year ago but was wondering if you can perhaps elaborate abit on your post? I'm currently facing the same issue except that the password of the account I'm trying to change is on a different untrusted domain. Vista just kept giving the "The username or password is incorrect" error. Does your above explanation apply to my scenario? My Vista machine is joined to another domain - so should I also ensure that the time of the DC in the other domain is synced? Regards, Eric
September 13th, 2010 10:06am

Instructions to Follow: Step 1 Insert your Windows vista CD into your CD drive and boot your computer. If you receive the message "press any key to boot from CD," press any key. Step 2 Press Enter to setup Windows. After accepting the license agreement, you wil be asked if you want start a Repair process. Step 3 Press R to begin the Repair process. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files, which can take several minutes. After this, reboot. Let the computer boot normally (do not press a key to boot from CD). Step 4 Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen. When you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This will open a command line console. Step 5 Type NUSRMGR.CPL at the prompt and press Enter. This will give you access to User Accounts. Remove or change your password. Write it down! After the repair is finished, you will be able to log on with your new password. Source: http://passwordrecoverybundlenew.blog.com/
September 19th, 2010 11:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics