Vista to Server 2008 mapped drive - reconnecting on startup
Hi there,I've had a sort of niggling problem with a mapped drive between my desktop and our local home server. I'm a web guy, so anything outside of IIS is likely to be a mystery to me!The server is running Windows 2008 as a domain controller; it's the only machine in the domain. The machine's job is to run IIS,a testbed copy of Exchange Server, andto share files among other computers in the house.My desktop is running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. It is on the same network (plugged into the same router) but it is not a part of the Domain; I want all the accounts and such on my desktop kept locally and don't need any of the benefits of being a member of the domain, so far as I know. Both computers can see each other and I can map a drive on the server to the desktop without an difficulty. Nice and fast. I click on 'connect as a different user' to put in my server credenials and I click 'reconnect on startup.' Every time I reboot the desktop, I get a 'could not reconnect all mapped drives' error. When I click on my mapped drive, it says 'invalid password' and I have to re-enter my server credentials (the same ones) and then it works until I reboot again. I spent some time googling this issue and tried adding my credentials to the user manager; I changed a couple of registry keys having to do with LSA-something-compatibility (apologies, I'm on the road at the moment, I can't remember what exactly) and I tried mapping the drive via IP rather than DNS name or even the local windows networking name - same problem. I'm just not sure where else to look. The specifics of the error are completely baffling - it's an easy UI to set it all up and totally mystifying as to what exactly is going wrong on reboot. I suppose I can join my desktop to the server domain, but that seems like it ought not to be necessary for such a simple thing as a regularly-mapped drive.
February 28th, 2009 1:26am

You could put it in a logon script. In this case, I wouldenable it in Local Computer Policy. Run MMC by clicking Start>Run or Win+R, and then enter mmc. Then select File>Add/Remove Snap-in. Scroll down to "Group Policy Object Editor", and add it. In the popup, select the default of "Local Computer Policy". Close the sub-windows, and return to the main window. Logon scripts would be under User Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts (Logon/Logoff). Of course, you still have to create the script and put it in the appropriate directory. The default folder is C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logon.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 28th, 2009 1:45am

I'll give that a shot, though it's a little bit disconcerting that the solution to this problem is to simply add an automatic workaround. Still, that's a good idea, and will solve the problem! Thanks.
March 1st, 2009 11:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics