Vista and dropped RDP connections via RWW__
I support several SBS 2008 networks. One of my users has a Vista Pro client inside the network that she connects to from a home Vista machine via RWW and the connect to desktop feature. Routinely she can connect for about 2-3 minutes before being booted off and having to re-authenticate. On the host machine the event logs (system or application) do not have any events related to a failed connection. On the originating machine the user is simply asked to re-authenticate. Some of the blogs I have read suggested that this may be related to DNS, some indicate there is a time out on the host Vista machine but none have a clear line of investigation to look for a real solution. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated. Since my other users are not having trouble remotely I would suspect a setting, registry entry or some other anomly on the host machine is the culprit. Thanks in advance.
April 12th, 2010 6:15pm

Hello, Thank you for your post here. The default timeout of RWW (RDP over TSgateway) is 30minutes/20minutes (client side/server side). If you haven't customized the timeout settings, the issue may not be relevant to RWW timeout configurations. The RWW idle timeout is configurable and documented in the technet library:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc527532.aspx To isolate the issue, please answer the following questions: 1. Does the issue happen only on this specific Vista client? 2. If the issue only persists on this specific Vista client, will other clients in the NAT network which the problematic Vista client resides in experience the same issue? As this is a SBS issue, you may wish to also post the issue and the answers to above questions to the SBS newsgroups. This will provide access to others who read the public newsgroups regularly who will either share their knowledge. SBS NewsGroup http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs SBS 2008 NewsGroup https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0 Thank you for your understanding.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 14th, 2010 6:29am

Miles, thank you for your attention. To answer your questions: first this client is the only remote client with the dropped connection. She is not timing out (idle time out) instead the connection is dropped right in the middle of her session and in recent days it has been dropping almost immediately after authentication. We have establsihed that she can log in from any other machine and stay active for as long as she wants, it is only her home machine that is having trouble. Yesterday she went to her neighbors, installed the certificate, logged and worked for an afternoon before simply signing out. This narrows the field as you can see to the home machine as the culprit. That being said we turned our investigation to the software load on her home machine. She is running a secure package called BSAFE Online because of youngsters in the home. Last night she was to uninstall this package and test the RWW. As yet I have not heard from her but as soon as I do I will repost here with the result. Darwin Okay, I just have determined the issue has not been fully resolved. The user did uninstall the software and was able to gain connectivity for up to 15 minutes before being booted off again. She will reboot later and try again. Your thoughts will be much appreciated. D
May 5th, 2010 3:38pm

Hi, Thank you for your update. Now we can narrow down the issue to this specific user. Besides the troubleshooting on the client computer, I would like to suggest you to also check the NAT router which may drop the NAT connection for some reasons. Will other machines in the same home network experience the same issue? If the NAT router has the features such as logging, you may find some useful information there. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 10th, 2010 11:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics