Vista Easy Transfer Kills Win2000 - Can't Reboot Win2000
I got a new machine running Vista Pro Premium and decided to use Easy Transfer to copy over files and settings from my Win2000 server system. Following the vista instructions I used vista to create an Easy Transfer CD to use on the Win2000 system. The Easy Transfer CD seemed to install something on the win2000 system but wouldn't run,so I dragged my data across the network. (That took a long time and I still had to reconstruct various things like Outlook rules since the export/import to a new version of Outlook didn't preserve them.) After I thought I had everything I shutdown the win2000 system. A few weeks later I reallized I missed transferring some data and turned on the win2000 system - it wouldn't boot. It gave a Disk I/O error :Status = 00001000 and complained it couldn't find the ntoskrnl.exe. I tried looking at the disk on an old NT4 system but it can't explore the disk with out crashing Windows Explorer. The properties panel shows no information about the hard disk. (I don't recall if it was formated with NTFS or FAT) I ran SpinRite6 on the HD and it seemed to recover some data - but still no boot. NT4 fairs no better trying to explore it. I ran an ERD (Emergency Repair Disk) - still no boot. Any suggestions on how to get this disk accessible again? I can't install it in the new Vista machine as there's no slots for it. -Wasted days and Wasted Nights
July 22nd, 2008 9:20pm

Hi, I understand after rebooting windows server 2000, the system can't start up normally with error message 'Disk I/O error :Status = 00001000 and couldn't find the ntoskrnl.exe' If the ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt or missing this can also generate the error. To restore this file, please follow the below steps to test the result: Use the Recovery Console ===================== 1. Use the Windows 2000 Setup disks to restart the computer, or use the Windows 2000 CD-ROM to restart the computer. 2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the Windows 2000 installation. 3. Press C to repair the Windows 2000 installation by using the Recovery Console. 4. Type the number that corresponds to the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER. 5. Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER. 6. Type map, and then press ENTER. Note the drive letter that is assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows 2000 CD-ROM. 7. Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after you type each one, where drive is the drive letter that you typed in step 4 Copy drive:\i386\ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32 More information, please refer to: NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm Hope this helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 24th, 2008 12:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics