Virtualising a 2008 Server to DR site

Hope someone has an easy answer to this...!

I have a Windows 2008 SP2 server (physical) that houses a critical SQL database and Apache Server. What I want to do is have another server at a DR site with Server 2012 r2 preferably and have a Virtual machine setup that will replicate the Windows 2008 server. I want to do this without changing anything on the physical server now.

I have looked at Double Take availability but the target DR server has to be 2008 sp2 as well. I just want the simplest way to do this where if the 2008 source goes down they can continue working at the DR site if need be. What do you suggest? 

March 23rd, 2015 7:50pm

Hi Sir,

Hyper-v replica is used for sync VM change to VM regularly .

>>where if the 2008 source goes down they can continue working at the DR site if need be.

It seems that you want to sync physical to VM residing at DR site .

As far as I know hyper-v can not do that .

If you need to P2V that physical server , you can try to use Disk2VHD .

But I still suggest you to create a new VM then migrate these applications to VM if it is possible .

In addition , SCVMM 2012 sp1 can handle P2V operation too .

http://www.robertborges.us/2014/05/questions-answers/p2v-migration/

Best Regards,

El

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 24th, 2015 8:43am

So there is no way to leave the physical server running 2008 SP2 and have it replicate to another physical server? Does not have to be Hyper-V thanks!
March 26th, 2015 12:52am

Hi Sir,

>>So there is no way to leave the physical server running 2008 SP2 and have it replicate to another physical server?

Hyper-v replica applies to hyper-v virtual machine .

Based on my understanding , if you want make the SQL server high avaiable I would suggest you to build SQL server cluster  .

You can get further assistance for SQL within following forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 1st, 2015 12:21am

SQL Server 2008 has a capability known as log shipping that will keep another instance almost up to date based upon transaction logs that are regularly shipped to another instance of SQL.  This is a very common DR implementation for SQL Server 2008.  This is not synchronous replication.  That is, there is a potential for loss of some data.  For detailed instructions on how to set this up, you would be better served by posting to a SQL Server forum.

The SQL Server instance that is receiving the shipped logs can be either physical or virtual.

A better option is to upgrade to at least SQL Server 2012.  It introduced a feature called Aways On Availability Groups that provides a higher level of synchronicity between the sites.  Again, SQL Server forums are better locations for de

April 1st, 2015 8:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics