Virtual Machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running

Hi

I have installed Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition with a GUI. Default configuration, nothing special.

Whenever I want to turn on any machine inside of Hyper-V, the following error message appears:

"Virtual Machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running"

Whenever this happens, I run the following command:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype Auto

and reboot the Server. After a reboot, all Virtual Machines can be started without Problems. However, as soon as I shut down the Server instead of rebooting it, the Problem happens again and I need to enter the command again and reboot.

Now my question is how to solve this Problem. I never had this Issue with Windows Server 2008 R2, maybe there are some differences regarding the Hypervisor in Server 2012. How can I make sure the Hypervisor is always on, even after a Shutdown? Thanks in Advance

October 6th, 2012 3:39pm

Did you check that your default boot config has hypervisorlaunchtype set to auto? I can't think of any reason why it would not start if that is set. Do a bcdedit /enum to list the current config.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 7th, 2012 12:42am

Hi,

Please check whether you have event log with ID 3112.

Hyper-V requires hardware support, including: an x64 CPU; VT (Intel) or AMD-V (AMD) hardware extensions; No eXecute (NX)/eXecute Disable (XD) and full BIOS support for hardware virtualization.

Check if the computer meets the hardware requirements, use the appropriate utility for your CPU manufacturer.

If the computer meets the requirements for Microsoft virtualization software, see the video titled Hypervisor is not running error: How to fix , which demonstrates how to change the system BIOS on a computer to enable support for virtualization. Make sure DEP and CPU virtualization is enabled in BIOS. (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=163578 ).

Also, check that Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store is set to start the hypervisor, and then restart your physical computer.

The BCD store contains boot configuration parameters and controls how the operating system is started in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 operating systems. These parameters were previously in the Boot.ini file (in BIOS-based operating systems) or in the nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM) entries (in Extensible Firmware Interface-based operating systems).

You can use the Bcdedit.exe command-line tool to update BCD store with the correct launch options as referenced in the error, and then restart the server. Bcdedit.exe is located in the \Windows\System32 directory by default.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Event ID 3112 Hypervisor Operation
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd581879(v=ws.10).aspx
You receive the error message "virtual machine could not start because the hypervisor is not running" in Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2490458
Troubleshooting Event ID 3112 "The virtual machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running."
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/194.hyper-v-troubleshooting-event-id-3112-the-virtual-machine-could-not-be-started-because-the-hypervisor-is-not-running.aspx
October 8th, 2012 7:17am

I found the solution in the meanwhile:

It happens because of an old BIOS Version. The Mainboard Manufacturer has corrected this issue in the latest BIOS. In fact, the oldest available BIOS Version was applied to my Mainboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe.

After the BIOS has been updated to the latest Version, the Problem is now solved.

• Marked as answer by John Muller Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:13 AM
October 20th, 2012 10:13am

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience!

You experience and solution can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks for your contribution to Windows Server Forum!

Have a nice day!
October 22nd, 2012 2:46am

My very first problem was that i couldn't install Hyper-V-Platform in Windows Setup because it was greyed out. So i went to bios and enabled virtualization options. Then I was able to install the Hyper-V Platform component but after reboot my Windows 8 (and 8.1) Boot-Screen was hanging / locked /frozen endlessly / no longer booting at all. So i disabled bios virtualization and ended up with installed Hyper-V *but* i could not run any Hyper-V virtual machine because the following error occurs:

virtual machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running

(my German system reports "Der virtuelle Computer konnte nicht gestartet werden, da der Hypervisor nicht ausgefhrt wird")

I wish I had found this post ( **hp forums** Desktop-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs Cannot-boot-if-HP-ENVY-Bios-Virtualization-enabled-for-Win8 ) earlier on Google! Recent research led me to MS Technet and others which told me
- to enable DEP
- to disable USB 3.0
- to set bcdedit hypervisor=auto
- to enable/disable virtualization in bios using a cold boot
- to change partitions
- to install a ms kb hotfix for amd cpus
- etc....
- about the Ralink Bluetooth Driver causing that virtualization issue !

Like the guys in HP forums using a HP Envy I do have a EXTRAComputer Exone AIO which is a simple barebone (by Mitac) that also encorporates a Ralink Bluetooth Adapter.

Though i recently updated from Windows 8.0 Pro to 8.1 Developer Preview and lately to Windows 8.1 Pro my system is still on Bluetooth Filter Driver Version 9.2.10.4. Others here reported that their windows does no longer boot with virtualization and hyper-v role / hypervisor enabled using this specific bt driver.

As of now I am downloading the latest (?) 9.2.10.24 which can be found at hp download pages

Watch out for Ralink RT3290 or RT3290LE drivers 9.2.10.10 or higher!

Will report back...
October 25th, 2013 8:42pm

ok 9.2.10.24 and my virtual machines work like a charm!
October 26th, 2013 12:01pm

Hi.

This was caused in my case by settings reset due to executing sfc/scannow for fixing system errors.

The easiest way was deinstall HyperV natively from Windows Programs And Features and install it again. I assume that some people come across this from Windows 8 (8.1) as well and for some it was functioning at the beginning.

best regards,

Max

• Edited by m4xgr4ss Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:36 AM
December 18th, 2013 7:34am

Hi when i install ESXi VSphere 5.5 on the same machine i have no problems with the hypervisor can just roll out new VM's and start them. When I install Windows 8.1 with Hyper-V manager then roll out a machine I get issue's with the hypervisor : "Virtual Machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running"..

I cant imagine that it is a hardware issue...

Anyone an idea ?

------------------------------------

Herman

October 10th, 2014 4:25pm

I had this issue after I mirrored from one disk to another using Samsung Magician. I ended up just uninstalling and reinstalling Hyper-V from Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off, rebooting when prompted.  I then had to re-create my virtual switch and all was fine.
January 9th, 2015 4:14pm

Confirmed - using Samsung Magician to copy a disk causes this issue. Removing and reinstalling Hyper-V seems to fix it.

Thanks for the tip!

March 19th, 2015 9:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics