Very slow shutdown in Windows 2008 Ent
After I join Win 2008 Ent to a Win 2003 domain, the next time I reboot it takes 20-30minutes to reboot. I see the last screen saying "Shutting Down" but it just stays there for 30minutes before it goes away. Is it possible to trace it and see what it's waiting on and somehow kill it? I am running Win 2008 x64 on HP DL580 G5
April 3rd, 2008 3:00am

Hi, Slow shutdown is probably caused by a number of factors. Here, I list three common ones and corresponding troubleshooting steps for your reference: 1) Clear Pagefile at Shutdown option enabled. When this option is enabled, it causes the system pagefile to be cleared upon clean shutdown. This takes considerable time of the Operating System to flush-out the pagefile, thus causing the slow shutdown. You may disable ClearPageFileAtShutdown option to improve shutdown times. To disable it: Click Start, Run and type Secpol.msc Click Local Policies | Security Options In the right-pane, set Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile to Disabled 2)The applications and services can also cause slow shutdown issue, because they have to complete a serial of tasks before system shutdown, such as releasing system resource they hold, waiting for the response of other programs etc. in order to solve this kind of issue, I suggest you perform a clean boot, then shutdown system to see if this issue disappear. About how to perform clean boot: 1. On a problematic server perform a clean boot and check if the issue still exists 1.1. Click Start->Run...->type msconfig and press Enter 1.2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services. 1.3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items 1.4. Click OK and choose Restart 1.5. After reboot, shutdown system to see if this issue disappear. 3)In a domain environment, please check if there is any logoff scripts applied to this server. This can be a source of slow or hanging shutdown processes. I hope this helps. If anything is unclear or you need further assistance, please post back. Best wishes --------------Morgan Che
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 3rd, 2008 11:33am

So far i tried option 1 and option 2 but no luck. I am getting in contact with the domain admins to see if we have some kind of logoff scripts. I really would like to use win 2008 x64 instead of win 2003 x64.
April 3rd, 2008 5:46pm

Fix...Our domain policy enabled this in Windows 2008 and in return windows took 30 mins to shutdown. I created a registry key to disable it. Maybe Microsoft has an explaination why this happens in Win2008 and not in Win2003. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manger\Memory ManagementClearPageFileAtShutdown 0
April 3rd, 2008 10:26pm

I am having the same issue with Windows 2003. I have to keep clear VM enabled due to security checklist requirements. The fastest I can get my machine to shutdown/reboot is 10 minutes. Any ideas?
August 19th, 2008 3:49pm

I have the same problem. Windows Server 2008 r2 EE. Shutdown takes 28 minutes. Group Policy Enables Clear Virtual Memory at Shutdown. When I move it back to WorkGroup it's disabled and the server shuts down immediately. Problem is, turning off isn't an option as all of our servers are set this way for Security purposes. This is a brand new build too....not sure where i went wrong. I set the page file to NO Page File which also fixes the problem....I checked Device Manager and no errors. I disabled all 3rd party applications. Any help would be great
January 17th, 2011 11:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics