Very irritating behavior by logon GUI
This is a pretty minor problem, but a huge irritation. We have some servers that have a local userID "Admin1" and password identical to a Domain account userID "Admin1" and password. The local Admin1 is a local administrator, and the Domain account Admin1 is a Domain Administrator. After pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del to start, the GUI to log in comes up with "Log on to: ABC-CORP" (where ABC-CORP is the Domain name) below the password field. this is what I want, and I want to log in with a Domain userID and password. On some servers, if I type "Admin1" in the userID field, the GUI reverts to logging in to the local machine. I have to type in "ABC-CORP\Admin1" in order to use the Domain account. There are other servers where I can type "Admin1" and the GUI remains set to log in to the Domain. Is there some setting that controls this? Since we have no other local accounts, this is the only account that we type the Domain name as a prefix. As a result, we sometimes find ourselves trying to perform tasks for which we don't have rights to do because we've accidentally logged in as a local admin only. Thank you.
March 28th, 2012 10:35am

The behavior what you have seen is actually normal. If you would like to differentiate local and domain account with Same name, here is a way. for local account log on use .\Admin1 and for domain account log on use abc-corp\Admin1 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 28th, 2012 10:52am

Hello, this is normal as long as the same names are used on the login interface, if no domain is provided the local account will be chosen automatically.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
March 28th, 2012 12:34pm

Hello, this is normal as long as the same names are used on the login interface, if no domain is provided the local account will be chosen automatically.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 28th, 2012 7:24pm

Thank you both very much for your clarification. I was afraid that this would be standard, unmodifiable behavior. Since Windows 2003 didn't do this, I had hoped there would be some obscure setting or registry entry that would change this behavior, but I guess I'm out of luck. :) Thank you again for your responses.
March 29th, 2012 1:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics