VSS event 8230
I've got a Server 2008R2 DHCP server and a DHCP backup that runs every night. Each time it runs, event 8230 is generated. The task calls a batch file I wrote, and that lives on the server and is run with domain administrator credentials (set to run whether or not the user is logged on). The user's password has not changed. What's more, the event references my account. I followed the steps in this TechNet article and removed my name from the key. For some reason, it came back and started causing the error again. The backup appears to complete and no other events or errors are logged. The event text and batch file contents are below. Thanks. Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 11/23/2010 12:01:09 PM Event ID: 8230 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: serverName Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Failed resolving account mhashemi with status 1376. Check connection to domain controller and VssAccessControl registry key. Operation: Initializing Writer Context: Writer Class Id: {be9ac81e-3619-421f-920f-4c6fea9e93ad} Writer Name: Dhcp Jet Writer Error-specific details: Error: NetLocalGroupGetMemebers(mhashemi), 0x80070560, The specified local group does not exist. SET backupSource=c:\dhcpDBBackup\DHCP-Backup.txt SET backupDest=\\anotherServer\shareName\dhcpDBBackup\ NETSH dhcp server export "%backupSource%" all COPY /y %backupSource% %backupDest% GOTO dun< :dun
November 24th, 2010 10:16am

Hi, Whether your current account is a domain admin? In the article you mentioned, you should create the valid value in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl key after delete your account. Whether it will be changed back, as you mentioned "it came back and started causing the error again"? Also please help output the VssAccessControl key to a TXT and copy it in reply for analysis.Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 25th, 2010 11:10am

Here is the key output: Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VSS\VssAccessControl Class Name: Last Write Time: 7/13/2009 - 9:54 PM Value 0 Name: NT Authority\NetworkService Type: REG_DWORD Data: 0x1 What value needs to be there, the domain account that runs the backup? Also, my account is a domain admin.
November 30th, 2010 9:23am

Hello, in my system only the NT Authority\NetworkService is listed. I had this error also after adding the DHCP server role and the installation user account was added. After removal the event id disappeared.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 30th, 2010 9:54am

Then have you tried the following steps as the article mentioned? To add a new valid account, right-click VssAccessControl, click New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. Give the registry entry the same name as the user account. Right-click the registry entry name, and then click Modify. Type 1, and then click OK. Note: You must set this value to 1. If you set it to 0, the Volume Shadow Copy Service is prevented from using the specific user account. Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
November 30th, 2010 8:46pm

I've removed my account again. Since I've got NetworkService in there, I guess I'll wait and see. I wonder why my account re-appeared after I removed it though.
December 1st, 2010 5:25pm

You may need to monitor that. Whether there is any other backup program installed?Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
December 3rd, 2010 4:33am

After I removed my user name from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl and restarted DHCP Server service, no VSS warning appeared in eventlog. But then I exported DHCP via netsh dhcp server \\ServerName all and my username re-appeared in VssAccessControl registry key and VSS warning was logged in eventlog again. Then after I restarted DHCP server service, VSS warning again in eventlog. I'm afraid that this problem leads to DHCP server crash as it happend to me few times last days.
December 11th, 2010 11:13am

I am experiencing the exact same issue and want to eliminate these warnings. If I remove my account (domain admin), run netsh to export DHCP, my account is added back. We have a daily job that runs, kicked off by internal scheduler, to backup DHCP. It does not run as my account, uses local system. I suspect all will be fine, but if I or someone else runs this netsh export of DHCP in the future, our account will again be placed in the registry and we will start getting the warnings again. Any ideas around this?
April 14th, 2011 12:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics