VSS errors with with SBS 2008
Hello, On a SBS server 2008 i get the following erors in the eventviewer: Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category Error 5-10-2009 12:35:14 VSS 8193 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154. Operation: Instantiating VSS server Error 5-10-2009 12:35:14 VSS 32 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The VSS Coordinator class is not registered. This may be caused due to a setup failure or as a result of an application's installer or uninstaller. Operation: Instantiating VSS server Error 5-10-2009 12:35:12 VSS 8193 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154. Operation: Instantiating VSS server Error 5-10-2009 12:35:12 VSS 32 None Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The VSS Coordinator class is not registered. This may be caused due to a setup failure or as a result of an application's installer or uninstaller. Operation: Instantiating VSS server I need some assistence to tackle this issue.
October 9th, 2009 11:41am

Hi Jac, 1. Please apply the hotfix mentioned in the following KB artilce A VSS hardware snapshot database keeps growing with duplicated snapshot information when it is updated for snapshot creation/deletion in Windows Server 2008 or in Windows Vista SP1 systems http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959476 2. Run the vssadmin utility and using the “vssadmin list writers” and "vssadmin list providers". 3. Register the dlls that are needed by the VSS service. From command prompt: Cd windows\system32 Net stop vss Net stop swprv regsvr32 ole32.dll regsvr32 vss_ps.dll Vssvc /Register regsvr32 /i swprv.dll regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll regsvr32 es.dll regsvr32 stdprov.dll regsvr32 vssui.dll regsvr32 msxml.dll regsvr32 msxml3.dll regsvr32 msxml4.dll 4. After completing the registration of the DLL’s, please restart the computer to monitor if the event will re-occur. Meanwhile, for better and quick answer to the SBS related question, it is recommend you to initial a new thread in the corresponding community to get further support. The community members and support professionals there are more familiar with SBS and can help you in a more efficient way. For your convenience, I have list the link to SBS community as followed. Discussions in microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs Hope the issue will be resolved soon.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 9th, 2009 12:57pm

Do you know if there is a hotfix for Server 2008 SBS x64? I have gone to the link you have provided but when I download it and try to install it, it gives me an error that this patch is the wrong version for my server.
January 22nd, 2010 8:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics