VSS Writer failed
Setup is W2k8 Server Standard hosting a w2k3 virtual server.Backup Exec 12.5 started failing with a VSS error which could be cured by a reboot but this has now become permanent. Nothing in the logs on the host server but BENT logs shows: Backup- VRTSRV::\\CSFISAHOST\Hyper-V?Store\Initial Store V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\CSFISAHOST\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\CSFISA2_2003". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details. Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V, Writer ID: {66841CD4-6DED-4F4B-8F17-FD23F8DDC3DE}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during prepare snapshot operation (8).VSSAdmin List Writers shows:Writer name: 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' Writer Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de} Writer Instance Id: {b12e7f3e-c7d3-4d58-b7f7-cc6d80a10d3a} State: [8] Failed Last error: Retryable errorVSSAdmin List providers gives:Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0' Provider type: System Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5} Version: 1.0.0.7 Any ideas?I did open a case with Symantec and they said it was a MS error and ask you. So I have.I hope someone can help.
January 6th, 2010 7:20pm

Try doing the following command "vssadmin list writers" and see if any of the writers are in error. To try and clear the writers, you can manually initiate a VS copy with "vssadmin create shadow /for=c:". Do this for each hard drive and check your writers for errors after each new shadow image is created. Of the writers all show OK, after you create your shadow copies and there are no errors thrown, I'd check your scheduled tasks and make sure you don't have AV scans, defrags, or any other disk intensive/vss oriented items running at the same time. Also, check your event logs and see if there are any VSS errors occurring. I think they show up in the application logs. You can also check out this KB article on re-registering your VSS components: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/940032 Cheers
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 6th, 2010 9:55pm

Hello COTAL1, To narrow down the cause of the issue, please first perform a Clean Boot and then test to see if you can backup the Windows Server 2003 virtual machine with Windows Server Backup. Step 1: Perform a Clean Boot 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". 4. Restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK". Step2: How to back up Hyper-V virtual machines from the parent partition on a Windows Server 2008-based computer by using Windows Server Backup http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958662/ If the issue still persist with 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer', we would like to suggest you apply the following hotfix onto the Windows Server 2008 parent partition, and then test to see if the issue can be fixed. Error message when you back up a Windows Server 2003-based virtual machine on a Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V-based computer: "GetWriterStatus FAILED for Selected writer [Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer], writer is in state [9] [VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_FREEZE]" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959978/en-us Hope it helps. Best Regards, David ShenThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
January 7th, 2010 9:52am

Thanks for that. I shall keep that answer for reference as typically as soon as I posted this query the job ran fine last night without errors and the writer is now reporting itself as stable
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2010 12:21pm

Hi COTAL1,Glad to hear the issue is resolved.If you have other question, please welcome to post back here again. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
January 7th, 2010 1:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics