VPN with RRAS
Hi.I've configured a VPN server and NAT using RRAS. Everything seems to work fine, my NAT is routing traffic from my local network correct and I can establish a VPN connection BUT. When connected to the VPN, I can't seem to see my devices under Network. Local network names do not work i.e. \\computer1. Only local ip adresses work. How can I correct this? How can i discover my machines under network?
September 30th, 2008 3:03pm

It doesn't work like that. The network display comes from the browser service, which relies on LAN broadcasts. You don't get LAN broadcasts over a WAN link. AVPN connectin just gives you an IP connection. The best idea is to get used to working without it. You should ba able to see the shares available using a net view command. You can then map a share using net use commands.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 1st, 2008 10:30am

Bill Grant said: It doesn't work like that. The network display comes from the browser service, which relies on LAN broadcasts. You don't get LAN broadcasts over a WAN link. AVPN connectin just gives you an IP connection. The best idea is to get used to working without it. You should ba able to see the shares available using a net view command. You can then map a share using net use commands. Bill alright. i thought it would work like that. Well, for me it's not a big deal to map up drives with ip adresses but it would be much easier. ;) Post is abusive
October 1st, 2008 4:30pm

If you have a DNS server that can resolve names for servers at the far end of the tunnel, you should be able to use that - DNS works over a VPN link where NetBIOS broadcasts do not. So hopefully you don't have to resort to IP addresses.Dave Bishop
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 1st, 2008 9:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics