VPN question
Hi, My office has only one server that's installed Windows server 2003 and run as Domain Controller. Can I configure this server as VPN server and run Domain controller also.
May 17th, 2009 7:46pm

Hello Lechien,Yes you can. But remember not to over tasked your domain controller.Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 18th, 2009 2:36am

As Isaac said, you can do it but it is not recommended. Apart from overloading the DC you can also get other problems because you DC will be multihomed (ie have more that one IP address associated with its name). KB292822 outlines the problems and possible fixes. But the best advice is "don't do it"!Bill
May 18th, 2009 5:56am

Thanks so much for your advise, I have one more question. Which server should I install ISA firewall, Domain Controller or VPN server?
May 19th, 2009 9:40am

Hi lechien,I agree with what Bill said.Generally speaking, we don't recommend you install ISA on a domain controller, as ISA server can be configured as a VPN server in the corp network, I suggest that you install ISA on the server in the edge network.(internal network)DC--------------ISA firewall (can be a VPN server)--------------------(external network)if you have further question about ISA server, please consider initializing a new thread in the following forum.Forefront Edge Securityhttp://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/forefrontedgesecurity/Hope the information will be helpful.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
May 19th, 2009 11:01am

Thanks in advance
May 19th, 2009 1:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics