VPN and local network - Can't browse computers
So my network setup is a little complicated, and I think I can see why there is this problem, but I'm not sure how to go about solving it. To start with I have the following setup at home: Basic router / cable modem setup, with a number of PCs wired into the router, running Windows 7 & XP. The router provides IP addresses to most of the PCs via DHCP, except for my main PC, which has a static address of 192.168.1.3. Into the second LAN port of my PC, I have a Mac connected via crossover cable, which has a static IP address of 192.168.1.4, with gateway / DNS addresses of 192.168.1.1 (which is the router's IP address). The two LAN ports on my PC are bridged. This all worked fine, and I could browse the computers on the network and access them by name. I then required to connect both the PC and the Mac to a network at work. In that network, I have a server, running Windows Server 2003, and several Windows 7 PCs. The server has a static IP address and the PCs are assigned by a DHCP server and are all connected to a router (The DHCP server is on the router, not the 2003 server). I set up VPN on the 2003 machine and set up RRAS on it, with a DHCP relay agent. All PCs and the server on the work network are assigned IP addresses from the range 172.x.x.x, as are all the machines that access the network via the VPN. The PC and Mac at home can both log on to the VPN and access the server fine by its IP address, and sometimes (but not always) via \\server, but the server rarely shows up in the network browser at home, and the home PC and Mac have trouble accessing each other by name. Now, I'm assuming this is because they are trying to register themselves by the same name on two separate subnets, which is confusing everyone involved :) So my question is, what is the correct way to set this up? Can I assign two separate names and workgroups for each machine, one for the 192.x.x.x network and one for the 172.x.x.x one? (I don't currently have DNS or WINS servers running on the 2003 server, but I could install them if necessary. Also, I'm not sure if I should have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled or disabled, or if it would make any difference). Thanks!
November 21st, 2010 12:56am

Hi Andrew, Thanks for posting here. Yes set WINS server in work network and assign it for remote computers is the way to achieve the goal that showing work network computers in the network browser when VPN established at home network. However , we’d recommend use DNS to implement name resolution instead of WINS. For more information please refer to the article below: Remote Access Design Guidelines – Part 4: IP Routing and DNS http://blogs.technet.com/b/rrasblog/archive/2009/03/17/remote-access-design-guidelines-part-4-ip-routing-and-dns.aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 22nd, 2010 12:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics