VPN Error 806. Works internally.

I'm unable to connect to my windows 2012 vpn server using the external ip, but I'm able to connect using the internal IP. I am using PPTP and have set up 443, 1723 and and 47 ports on the router.

How do I fix this?

PS. I am using APACHE also on this server which uses the 443 port. Does this conflict with it?

Thanks.

• Edited by Reddax Tuesday, May 19, 2015 10:38 PM
May 19th, 2015 10:37pm

Hello there, 

Have your tried to replicate this behaviour on another computer? Do you still get the same error? 

Also, have you checked your firewall software? The easiest way to test if it's conflicting with your VPN connection is to disable it and try the connection again. If this allows you to connect to the VPN you'll need to setup an exception in order to use the VPN while it's running. 

Finally, its worth considering a reboot on your devices. System resources can run low and cause all sorts of problems. Try to reboot your PC, Router, and Modem, then once the PC returns start VPN before you launch any application.

Hope this helps! 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 19th, 2015 10:52pm

Tried restarting them. And the firewall on the server must be fine if I can connect to it locally. Only externally it doesn't work. Sounds like an issue with ports or the router or something?

I'm using a BT Home Hub 5. Recently changed, used to work with the Home Hub 3.

May 19th, 2015 10:54pm

Hi,

VPN error 806: 
The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed. The most common cause for this failure is that at least one Internet device (for example, a firewall or a router) between your computer and the VPN server is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets. 

Allow both outgoing and incoming Protocol 47 (GRE) on any in between firewalls. And confirm the settings(allow GRE and related port for VPN) on intermediate devices(router), it is better to contact the device vendor for official support.

Reference Which ports to unblock for VPN traffic to pass-through:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/rrasblog/archive/2006/06/14/which-ports-to-unblock-for-vpn-traffic-to-pass-through.aspx

Best Regards,
Eve Wang 
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 22nd, 2015 2:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics