VPN Doesn't work
Hi there,We got a customer and he got a new server whit SBS 2003 R2 installed on it.Now everything works except VPN, RAS Configuration settings:Ras policy: Windows-Groups VPN-Users( Evry user in the domain can make a vpn from his home computer to the main office. )PPPOE 1 port openedPPTP 28 Port's openedL2TP 28Port's openedDirect parrallel 1 Portopened Router ports opened:- TCP Port 1723- TCP Port 1701- UDP Port 500The specs of the server :--------------------------------------------------------------------HP Proliant ML 350 G5E5410 2.33 GhzHP 146 GB 10K SAS (2.5inch)3GB memory 2 X 1 GB Module and 2x 512 Modules.1 network 10 / 100 / 1000 port.Windows Server 2003 SBS R2 ( Dutch Version )--------------------------------------------------------------------I have tried the followings things:Ras Service disabled and reconfigured. Whit al the same settings ____ above, and whit all default sbs 2003 R2 settings.I hope someone can help me.Yours faithfullySebastian SchigtDesign is the Technology
September 30th, 2009 3:38pm

Hello, Are you using a router/firewall appliance? Make sure ports 47, 1723 are open on your firewall and also make sure your router supports GRE pass through. To troubleshoot whether its a problem in the windows config or with your router config, try this: From inside your LAN, establish a PPTP connection using the VPN server's Private IP address as the VPN Server host name. If that works fine, check that ports 47 and 1723 are open on your firewall and forwarded to the VPN server. Also check with your firwall/router manufacturer and make sure that GRE passthrough is supported/enabled. If your cannot connect your PPTP client to the VPN server using it's private address, chek the VPN configuration and/or Windows firewall. MiguelMiguel Fra www.falconits.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 30th, 2009 7:26pm

Sorry to contradict you Miguel, but port 47, TCP or UDP, has nothing to do withPPTP. What does cause problems with PPTP is GRE, as you pointed out. The confusion arises because GREis Internet Protocol 47. Evenmanufacturers' documents mention port 47, but it has nothing to do withPPTP really.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837453 PPTP packets use a modified GRE header. If anything in the path blocks the GRE protocol, nopackets cross the link and it closes. Sebastian, Does the VPN setup work locally? Can you connect from a LAN machine? If not, it is a server config problem which you can sort out locally. What error message do you get when you try to connect remotely? If it is a GRE problem you will probably get an error 721.Bill
October 1st, 2009 4:49am

Falcon ITS & Bill GrantThankyou for the advise, the VPN workt locally sow the configuration was good, after looking evrything again. i contacted my internet provider and he told me there was an firmware update for my router. Sow i thought well i give it a shot. And after updating the routerthe vpn works great, no problems anymore. The strange thing is i didnt change anything in the router after the firmware update.Anyhow thanks allot for the quick answersAnd this topic can be closed :DDesign is the Technology
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 1st, 2009 6:50pm

Hi Bill,Your insight is most welcome and your diplomacy well appreciated;-) Thanks for clearing that up, I was under the impression that GRE was port specific to port 47, not protocol 47 as you pointed out. Sebastian, I'm glad it's up and running!!!Cheers!Miguel Fra www.falconits.com
October 1st, 2009 8:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics