VPN DNS problems
I am having an issue when I VPN into my network where I am not able to resolve computer names. I can resolve them if I type in the FQDN but if I just type in the computer name it does not find it. I can also access machines via the IP address. When I am on the LAN I am able to resolve the computer names with no problem. So when connected to the VPN if I ping c4eo (servername) it says Ping request could not find host. If I ping c4eo.domain.local ping replys and works. On the LAN I can just ping c4eo and it replys.I am running Windows server 2003 standardwith all the latest service packs and patches. I have routing and remote access setup on the server so I can VPN into the network. This server is the domain controller the DNS server the whole 9. The routing and remote access is configured to point to the SonicWall for DHCP information.I have a SonicWall Pro 4100 firewall which is my DHCP server which assigns IP information when I log in via the VPN and LAN. DHCP gives out the DNS information.It seems as though when I am logged in to the VPN the domain suffix information is not being appended to the computer names. Is there a setting in DNS I could be missing? Why would I see this when connected via the VPN but not when I am on the LAN?Any suggestions on this issue would be great if you need anymore information let me know.Thanks,Bill
March 13th, 2009 4:41pm

You would probably need wins to make it work over a VPN. It probably works on the LAN because it broadcasts.http://sdrtech.blogspot.com MCSE: MCITP - Exchange Admin: MCTS - SQL 2005
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 13th, 2009 5:19pm

Thanks a lot man that is exactly what it was. As soon as I setup WINS and added to the DHCP scope and logged in via the VPN it worked. Thanks a million have a cold beer on me!!
March 13th, 2009 5:41pm

Hi, Can you please tell me what exactly you have done to fix this problem. I am having same issue with VPN as well. thanks. yogi....
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 30th, 2010 12:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics