VPN Connection Issue - error 678 XP, error 807 Vista
I am having a problem connecting to my VPN server from any PC outside of my network. Here is my setup: HP Proliant DL360 G5 server, 4gb RAM, 2 Quad Core Xeon Procs., 2 NICs OS: Windows Server 2008 Standard Addition Roles: Network Policy and Access Services (Routing and Remote Access) NIC 1: DHCP-assigned IP address on internal 172.16.2.x network NIC 2: Static, public IP address provided by Comcast. This NIC is connected to an SMC8014 cable modem/router. (173.11.x.x) Both NICs show local and internet access. SMC8014: Firewall is disabled for True Static IPs Server is part of a AD domain, but has no roles other than this. On the server, I added the NPAS role, with the RRAS role services. I then went through the 'configure RRAS' wizard, selected the NIC 2 as my NIC that is connected to the internet, configured RRAS as VPN and NAT. I went into NPS and created and enabled a policy that grants access for any member of the 'IT Staff' Group. If I have a PC connected to the internal 172.16.2.x network, I can create a PPP VPN connection to the server's internal IP address with no problem. When I try and make that same connection to the server from a PC that is outside of my network, I get error 807 in Vista and error 678 in XP. On the client PCs, I have disabled the windows firewall. Any suggestions?
May 13th, 2009 9:49pm

I may of gotten a bit closer. On my Vista client PC, I went into the VPN connection properties, then to the Security Tab, and selected 'Optional Encryption' for the Data Encryption drop-down. Now when I try to connect on the Vista PC, I get error 691. I know this is not a username/password issue - I use the same user/pass for everything and I have retyped it several times with no success. I get error 721 on the XP PC
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 13th, 2009 10:40pm

SOLUTION: I assigned a static, internal IP to NIC 1 (172.16.2.41), and I left the default gateway blank in the IP4 settings for NIC 1 (the internal NIC). As soon as I did this, I was able to make the VPN connection on both Vista and XP machines.
May 13th, 2009 11:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics