VPN Connection Information Pulled From a Database?
(I hope this is the correct forum.....) This may seem like an odd question, but I'd like to setup VPN's that pull connection information from a database or other central repository. The scenario is I have a number of Help Desk personnel that need to connect to client sites via VPN. With 50+ VPN connection details that have to be maintained, we use a SQL database to ensure everyone has access to the usual username, password, company name, and other details to identify the customer. Since this is a Microsoft environment, I’ve looked at VB Scripts that can be run, CMAK distribution, etc., but none seem to handle an environment where passwords on the VPN’s may need to be changed to meet security requirements. So, any ideas on a solution where a person can select a VPN from a list (or other method) and the VPN details are populated from a table of some sort? I’m open to ideas!
December 9th, 2010 1:29am

Hi, Thank you for your post. From the description, you want a method to store the username and password in a secure store which Help Desk personal can easily select the VPN profile and connect to a specific client site. I am afraid that there is not a existing tool whhich will fulfill your need. However, here is a workaround which you may be interested in. 1. You can create 50+ VPN connections and save the user name and password in every connection. 2. Double click the rasphone.pbk from the directory %appdata%\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk to select the VPN conncetion that you want to dial when Help Desk personal attempt to connect a client site. Is there anything I have misunderstood? If there is, could you please tell more about what want to achieve on VPN connections?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 10th, 2010 3:12am

Good Morning Miles, Hmmm... Yes, you understood the question....no, I REALLY don't want to maintain all of these connection details on an individual basis. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I have much choice. :-( I think I'll continue looking and I'll also have a chat with our Developers. There are some bright folks over there and they may be able to come up with something.... Thanks for the reply! :-) Regards, Steve
December 12th, 2010 3:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics