VPN Client from CMAK Redialing Arbitrarily
Hello, I built a Windows VPN client using CMAK. I have a VPN server that drops the client after x-time > max time to prevent users from logging in and staying on the VPN unnecessarily. The problem I am having is that when the VPN server drops the client, they get a redial dialog box. I want to prevent this dialog box from appearing. I went to the .pbk file and modified the RedialOnLinkFailure value to =0 but the redial still pops up. The client is Windows7. The .pbk file I modifies was located in \user\appdata\roaming\microsoft\network\connections\pbk. For some reason, the VPN client is not reading/writing to the .pbk file. For example, if I change the redial attempts on the VPN client software to 0, the RedialAttempts value in the .pbk file remains 3. Naki K. Naki K. / Inside Support & Technical Support Associate / Falcon ITS Computer and Network Services , Miami, Fl
May 17th, 2010 5:20am

Hi Naki have you attempted just delete the RedialOnLinkFailure from your PBK file? Maybe this is the different between windows XP/2003 and windows 7/2008 And I have read if setting the AutoReconnect value could achieve your goal in CMS file Connection Manager Keys http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd672629(WS.10).aspx Templates and Connection Profile Files http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd672657(WS.10).aspx Run the CMAK Wizard to Create a Connection Profile http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726035(WS.10).aspx hope it’s helpful
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 17th, 2010 10:57am

Hi Naki have you attempted just delete the RedialOnLinkFailure from your PBK file? Maybe this is the different between windows XP/2003 and windows 7/2008 And I have read if setting the AutoReconnect value could achieve your goal in CMS file Connection Manager Keys http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd672629(WS.10).aspx Templates and Connection Profile Files http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd672657(WS.10).aspx Run the CMAK Wizard to Create a Connection Profile http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726035(WS.10).aspx hope it’s helpful
May 17th, 2010 10:57am

Hi Naki As I understand for prevent the VPN redial ,you attempted to modify the RedialOnLinkFailure value which in PKB file of client side, but it not worked. Base on my test , modify this value to 0 will uncheck the “Redial if line is dropped” .Also the “RedialAttempts” value. For trouble shooting I’d like to check the permission of this file and folder first, make sure user account has enough permission read it. Also Please close the connection property forms when you attempt modify the PKB file. For test, please check if the issue occurred again with create a new connection and try modify PKB. To resolve this issue quickly, I suggest create a new connect with CMAK and like liyin’s suggestion, insert “AutoReconnect=0” in CMS file and deploy to client side. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thanks Tiger Li
May 21st, 2010 11:52am

Hi Tigerm Sorry to unmark your answer but I still want to have this issue open because I modified both the PBK file and the CMS file and the VPN still requests a redial when the line is dropped.Here's what I have done so far: 1. I edited the PBK file so that RedialOnLinkFailure=0 2. I edited the CMS file so that redial count=0 The PBK file has 2 locations in connections\cm and connections\pbk. regardless I modified both. If I use the VPN Dialer icon created with the CMAK or from the Connection Manager, the connection does not behave as it should; i.e. the redial dialog box appears after disconnect depite the fact that the RedialOnLink value =0. I am very frustrated so far and have no idea why this is not behaving as expected If you have any other ideas please let me know. NakiNaki K. / Inside Support & Technical Support Associate / Falcon ITS Computer and Network Services, Miami, Fl
May 24th, 2010 5:05am

Hi Naki K. Base on my test, when insert the “RedialOnLinkFailure=0” under [VPN connection name] of PKB file, the “Redial if line is dropped” of VPN Connection will be disabled. Here is the test steps: 1 I have created and installed a VPN connection called “example VPN connection” in Network and Sharing Center of windows server 2008 and Windows 7. 2 Opened the PKB file which located at “ %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\network\connections\pbk “ by notepad.exe 3 Inserted the string “ RedialOnLinkFailure=0 ” under “ [example VPN connection] “. Save the modify and close the notepad.exe 4 After that I double click and open the “example VPN connection” connection then “Redial if line is dropped” was disabled. Meanwhile ,I also create a VPN connection “example VPN Connection” by CMAK for test , after modify the CMS with insert the " Autoreconnect=0 ” under “ [Connection Manager] “ I reinstall connection on client again ,so that the old profile will be replaced. Then opened the PKB file with Notepad.exe , found that “ RedialOnLinkFailure=0 ” had been inserted under “ [example VPN Connection] “. So that we can confirm that “RedialOnLinkFailure” in PKB file is the value for control behave of whether redial. For test ,Please following the steps above and check if it worked. Hope that’s helpful Tiger Li
May 24th, 2010 6:54am

Hi Tiger, Could you please tell me what you mean by "I reinstall connection on client again so the old profile will be replaced " Here's my tests and results: 1. I installed the VPN client created using CMAK 2. I modified CMS file by inserting Autoconnect=0 under [Connection Manager] 3. I opened the PBK file and verified that RedialOnLinkFailure=0 4. I rebooted the PC and connected to the VPN server 5. When the connection dropped, the Reconnect dialog box appears. This is happening with Connection Manager VPN client software created using CMAK. Naki K. / Inside Support & Technical Support Associate / Falcon ITS Computer and Network Services, Miami, Fl
May 24th, 2010 5:00pm

Hi Tiger, If you give me you email, I can send you a download link to our VPN client and a user name/password to our VPN server so you can see what's happening. I have the VPN server set to disconnect the client after 3 minutes. Naki.Naki K. / Inside Support & Technical Support Associate / Falcon ITS Computer and Network Services, Miami, Fl
May 24th, 2010 5:09pm

Hi Tiger, Could you please tell me what you mean by "I reinstall connection on client again so the old profile will be replaced " Here's my tests and results: 1. I installed the VPN client created using CMAK 2. I modified CMS file by inserting Autoconnect=0 under [Connection Manager] 3. I opened the PBK file and verified that RedialOnLinkFailure=0 4. I rebooted the PC and connected to the VPN server 5. When the connection dropped, the Reconnect dialog box appears. This is happening with Connection Manager VPN client software created using CMAK. Naki K. / Inside Support & Technical Support Associate / Falcon ITS Computer and Network Services, Miami, Fl Hi Naki, At step2 and step3 , after you modify the CMS file with insert "Autoreconnect=0" under [connection manager], have you attempted to launch the exe file for reinstall the connection or delete the exist connection and reinstall ,then test again ? I just curious that whether Autoreconnect=0 worked
May 25th, 2010 6:07am

Hi Tiger, Could you please tell me what you mean by "I reinstall connection on client again so the old profile will be replaced " Here's my tests and results: 1. I installed the VPN client created using CMAK 2. I modified CMS file by inserting Autoconnect=0 under [Connection Manager] 3. I opened the PBK file and verified that RedialOnLinkFailure=0 4. I rebooted the PC and connected to the VPN server 5. When the connection dropped, the Reconnect dialog box appears. This is happening with Connection Manager VPN client software created using CMAK. Naki K. / Inside Support & Technical Support Associate / Falcon ITS Computer and Network Services, Miami, Fl Hi Naki, At step2 and step3 , after you modify the CMS file with insert "Autoreconnect=0" under [connection manager], have you attempted to launch the exe file for reinstall the connection or delete the exist connection and reinstall ,then test again ? I just curious that whether Autoreconnect=0 worked
May 25th, 2010 6:07am

Hi Naki K., Base on my further study, when you create & install the connection by using CMAK, with the target operation selected as "windows 7 or windows vista", the profile of this connection is loacted at “ %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\network\connections\CM ” folder. To achieve your goal, please insert “ NoPromptReconnect=1 “ under [connection manager] of CMS file, Save and close this file. In my test environment, Reconnect dialog box (connection to *** was terminated. Do you want to reconnect? ) will not appear even the connection is dropped. Connection Manager Keys http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd672629(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger Li
May 25th, 2010 11:19am

Awesome !!! I will try this and get back to you! How about in XP, is "NoPromptReconnect=1" also for XP? Naki. Naki K. / Inside Support & Technical Support Associate / Falcon ITS Computer and Network Services, Miami, Fl
May 26th, 2010 7:00pm

Tiger, That was it! Both for Vista and XP those connection manager strings work perfectly. I appreciate your perseverance. Thanks again!!!!! Naki.Naki K. / Inside Support & Technical Support Associate / Falcon ITS Computer and Network Services, Miami, Fl
May 26th, 2010 7:38pm

Dear Liyin, Yes, I has recompiled the exefile after inserting the string. The problem as it turns out is that the string necessary to disable redial is "NoPromptReconenct=1". I was also able to add additional customizations thanks to the technet link dealing with cms key variables. Thanks to you and Tiger for all your help! Naki K. Naki K. / Inside Support & Technical Support Associate / Falcon ITS Computer and Network Services , Miami, Fl
May 26th, 2010 7:41pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics