VOIP and bandwidth testing
I have a network where a VOIP system was installed. Each person's computer and phone are teamed on to the same network run which terminates in a gigabit switch installed by the VOIP provider. While we are not certain it seems that since the VOIP system came in users have reported more slowness and hangups, etc. than before. As we are the network admins we don't want to look like we are pointing fingers to others for network problems so we are looking for some tools that would let us measure internal traffic and somehow separate out what VOIP is taking up of the potential bandwidth versus standard computer network traffic between workstations and servers, etc. If anybody has had to do this kind of analysis I would appreciate strategies and tools they could recommend from experience.
August 31st, 2010 10:40pm

Hi arlesterc , Thanks for post here. Based on my knowledge , some switches has built in utility to monitor and record the traffic state and export the daily , weekly and monthly report for customer to analyze. You may like to consult with the vendor of switch to check if it could acquire such feature by update framework or other method. And please consult with the VOIP provider to acquire the knowledge regard to monitor the network traffic flow to evaluate if the equipment you installed could meet your requirement. You may like to using Network Monitor to verify the network traffic between client and server. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en Meanwhile, SNMP and System Center Operation Management is also a good solution for you reference, please check an old thread which discuss the similar requirement : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagergeneral/thread/10593243-e086-4764-bfd2-6070627d4e0b I also know some third party utilities, like cacti may also achieve your goal. www.cacti.net Hope that’s helpful. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2010 5:53am

Thanks for these tips. I will try them out.
September 2nd, 2010 1:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics