VM Move / Storage Migration Network Traffic

In a Lab I have a 2012 R2 Hyper-V Host and a 2012 R2 File Server hosting the VHDX and VM configuration. 

When moving the location of a VM + VHDX location on the File Server from let's say \\fileserver\slow_disk to \\fileserver\fast_disk the traffic transverses the Hyper-V host over the network instead of just moving local on the host.

My question is, is there a way to prevent the network traffic when moving on the same server? A sort of "offloaded transfer".

It can be scripted with the VM offline, but thought I'll throw the question in the forum.

December 20th, 2014 2:28pm

Hi Casper,

ODX may cover your needs (But the storage arrays must support cross-storage array ODX).

"

Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) functionality in Windows maximizes an enterprises investment in intelligent storage arrays by enabling the arrays to directly transfer data within or between compatible storage devices, bypassing the host computer.

By offloading the file transfer to the storage array, ODX minimizes latencies, maximizes array throughput, and reduces resource usage such as CPU and network consumption on the host computer. Windows offloads file transfers transparently and automatically when you move or copy files, irrespective of whether you drag-and-drop files through File Explorer or use command-line file copy commands.

"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831628.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 24th, 2014 7:27am

Sorry for the slow response. ODX works with arrays etc. If you have storage spaces etc. should the standard copy offload functions apply here as well just like when you provision a VM?
January 21st, 2015 2:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics