VM Failover via PowerShell

Hello,

I am trying to do a simple planned failover via PowerShell.

My Azure Site Recovery is connected via VMM.<o:p></o:p>

Basically I just want to do the same think in
PowerShell which is done if I klick on a VM and select Failover->PlannedFailover

I know about this PowerShell let Start-AzureSiteRecoveryPlannedFailoverJob
https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d7b03598-b1b7-448b-b336-b65cb4243bd1

But I can't get it to work. I already tried a couple of different things.
Even if I use the sample from the bottom of the page I get an error:

Sample:

PS C:\> $Container = Get-AzureSiteRecoveryProtectionContainer 
PS C:\> $Protected = Get-AzureSiteRecoveryProtectionEntity -ProtectionContainer $Container 
PS C:\> Start-AzureSiteRecoveryPlannedFailoverJob -Direction PrimaryToRecovery -ProtectionEntity $Protected -Optimize ForDowntime

Error:

Start-AzureSiteRecoveryPlannedFailoverJob : Cannot convert 'System.Object[]' to the type 'Microsoft.Azure.Commands.RecoveryServices.SiteRecovery.ASRProtectionEntity' 
required by parameter 'ProtectionEntity'. Specified method is not supported.
At line:3 char:90
+ ... otectionEntity $Protected -Optimize ForDowntime
+                    ~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Start-AzureSite...nnedFailoverJob], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgument,Microsoft.Azure.Commands.RecoveryServices.StartAzureSiteRecoveryPlannedFailoverJob

I also tried this and a couple of other approaches:

$container = Get-AzureSiteRecoveryProtectionContainer -Name "TestBurst" 
$VM = Get-AzureSiteRecoveryVM -Name "SitRecoveryTest" -ProtectionContainerId $container.ID
$Entity = Get-AzureSiteRecoveryProtectionEntity -ProtectionContainerId $container.ID | Where-Object{($_.Name -match 'SitRecoveryTest')}

Start-AzureSiteRecoveryPlannedFailoverJob -ProtectionEntity $Entity[0] -Optimize ForDowntime -Direction PrimaryToRecovery

But here I get the following Error:

Start-AzureSiteRecoveryPlannedFailoverJob : Operation failed.
ClientRequestId: 2bd800fc-b75e-4900-9f80-8cfb89704abb-2015-06-21 23:10:10Z-P
InvalidParameter: <Error xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/Microsoft.Azure.SiteRecovery">
  <ActivityId>00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</ActivityId>
  <Code>InvalidParameter</Code>
  <Message>An invalid parameter ReplicationProvider was passed.</Message>
  <PossibleCauses>Parameter value is not correct for this action.</PossibleCauses>
  <RecommendedAction>Correct the parameter value and retry the last action. If the issue persists, contact Support.</RecommendedAction>
</Error>
At line:16 char:1
+ Start-AzureSiteRecoveryPlannedFailoverJob -ProtectionEntity $Entity[0] -Optimize ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [Start-AzureSite...nnedFailoverJob], SerializationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.RecoveryServices.StartAzureSiteRecoveryPlannedFailoverJobIf

If I change the parameter -Direction to RecoveryToPrimary I even get the right Error that the FailoverDirectionNotCorrect is incorrect

I thought it would be a relatively easy task to do in PowerShell but after nearly two hours of trying different thinks I am stuck.

I also tried a couple of different thinks but I don't think I should post all my failed attempts here ;) Two is enought

Kind regards
Pascal

June 21st, 2015 11:20pm

Thank you for the workaround!

Is there any news when the normal way will be fixed, bc I was going to put the PowerShell code in my bachelor's thesis.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2015 1:41pm

Is there any news when the normal way will be fixed, bc I was going to put the PowerShell code in my bachelor's thesis.

June 24th, 2015 1:44pm

• Edited by Pascal90909 Wednesday, June 24, 2015 5:38 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2015 5:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics