VMWare host windows 8 with one WiFi has problem with IP when installing PDC 2008R2
Please help me. I have googled everywhere but there is no clear answer for me and I am stuck for three weeks now. My situation is, I have bought VMWare workstation 9.0 and It is installed in Win 8.1 host. The host has one WiFi and one unplugged NIC. I installed win 2008R2 server in VMWare and it has dynamic IP address and I can have internet connection. Everything is working like charm. The problem begun when I tried to promote the win 2008R2 server into PDC (primary domain controller). The promotion requires static IP, so I changed the server network adapter to have the static IP. And now I can't ping the server and there is no internet connection in the server. Is it possible to have one unplugged nic and one WiFi in the Host to install PDC 2008R2 virtual server? WHat should I do? If it is possible, let say I want install the second server to connect to the pdc still in the same host, is it possible for the second server to have internet connection as well?
November 28th, 2013 8:23pm

You need to define your network architecture.  You can't just "assign a static IP." How do you get DHCP IPs? DNS?

Ideally, set a private network for your VM and set the static IP there.  See the VMware docs for information on that .

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 2nd, 2013 2:05am

Hi  Steve,

Thank you for the response. But I don't get your question: You need to define your network architecture.  You can't just "assign a static IP." How do you get DHCP IPs? DNS?
I just have two machines: a single host (win 8) for virtual server and a physical server 2008r2..  Both of the machine are served by a single router. They are connected to the internet using wifi card.  The plan is to install a virtual primary domain controller (PDC) 2008r2 and join the physical server to this virtual pdc server. As you may know, to promote a server to pdc, it has to have a static ip address. So my problem is when I set the static IP address to the virtual server, I lost internet connection. The host machine has a wifi card and a nic.

Please help me out to solve this issue.   I have been stuck for a month.

December 4th, 2013 7:13pm

Your best place for help with VMware products, is the VMware forums.  

What is the IP address of the host?

What did you set your static IP to?  Gateway? You can't just randomly add a static IP address. It needs to be in the correct subnet, etc.

Where does the host PC get its IP from?  

If you have a router, so that would serve IP addresses.  Is it actually a router or a cable or DSL modem?  If you are connecting directly to the modem, that is the likely error's source.  Most ISPs only give you 1 IP address.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 6th, 2013 4:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics