VMNetworkAdapter and port mirroring

Hi,

I have 2 VM connecter on the same virtual switch.

For the First VM,  network adapter is configured with "PortMirroring Source" parameter

For the Second  network adapter is configured with "PortMirroring Destination" parameter

On the second, i have installed Netmon 3.4. When i monitor trafic, i cna't see any packet from VM 1.

What is the mistake ??

Thanks !

May 29th, 2012 12:44pm

Hi paracetamol,

Thanks for posting here.

May I know what virtual machine software are we referring in this issue ?

If you are referring the Hyper-V extensible switch feature in new windows server platform please post to windows server 2012 forum in order to get the most professional responses:

Windows Server 8 networking

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/F/7/7F734DD6-DA0A-4898-9FB0-0AC4435FF1C1/WS8%20Beta%20Networking%20White%20Paper.pdf

Windows Server "8" Beta General

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserver8gen/threads

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 30th, 2012 7:51am

Hi,

I'm using an Hyper-V on Windows server 2012 build 8400.

On this Hyper-V, i have 2 VM running Windows 8 Release preview. On the VM1, i have configured network card with mirroring mode set to SOURCE.

On the second VM i have set network card with mirroring mode set to DESTINATION.

Now, i have installed on this second VM Network monitor 3.4.

If i ping VM1, i should be able to see network traffic fom VM1: but nothing... i see only VM2 traffic...

Thanks

June 4th, 2012 10:18am

Hello

I am testing the monitoring of port between VM connected on the same Virtual switch but it does not work: this is the configuration:

The MV2 is a monitor VM:

The VM 1 is or I installed netmon 3.4:

But when I created the traffic on my MV2 (go on bing.com e.g.) I do not see this traffic in my on the VM1 netmon capture.

June 6th, 2012 9:20pm

I have the same results with it not working.  I've seen no documentation covering this feature yet, so odds of there being additional requirements will not surprise me.

Has anyone seen documentation, lab, or video anywhere that covers this subject yet?

I had been wondering if it required the Microsoft NDIS Capture switch extension enabled on the virtual switch within the Virtual Switch Manager, but for me, enabling Microsoft NDIS Capture results in: The selected extension is not operating correctly.  Check the event logs for further information.  Checking the all the event log sections, I find no errors related to Hyper-V, NDIS, or networking in general.  So far havent spotted any information events worthwhile either.  Ive found only minor information about what this extension is supposed to do, but no real documentation on it either.

Also, the white paper PDF linked by Tiger Li no longer works, so I haven't read it.  I've gotten a lot of documentation via the download center, but I don't know if that PDF is one of them.

June 7th, 2012 5:53am

I have the same error on all my Hyper-V (5 physical machines) and found nothing in events...
June 7th, 2012 6:52am

Now Windows 2012 is RTM.

And i have same result an same problem !

September 4th, 2012 4:31pm

Is it a bug ???

How can i fix this problem ???

September 27th, 2012 7:14am

Hi there -

I've sent this question to the Hyper-V Switch product team; if I hear back from them I will post their response.

Thanks -

September 27th, 2012 8:28pm

Thanks !
September 27th, 2012 8:57pm

No response from MSFT ?
November 17th, 2012 10:09pm

Missing one step above.

On NetMon 3.4 (that is what I am using), set it to P-Mode (Promiscuous Mode) and you will be able to see the traffic.

doug.ga

December 14th, 2012 12:56am

Did you ever hear anything back from Microsoft on this?
July 24th, 2015 3:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics