VMM Powershell
I've created a Virtual Machine Manager PS script which runs perfectly well from the server hosting VMM, but when I try to run it from a remote PC I receive the following error everytime I try to execute a command;

"Contact the Virtual Machine Manager administrator to verify that your account is a member of a valid user role and then try the operation again."

The account I am logged in with is a member of the VMM Administrator role, and I'm even using the same account from the server when it works.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?
April 24th, 2009 8:42am

Are they in the same domain, the server and the remote PC?
Have you the firewall on?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 24th, 2009 9:02am

Yes they are in the same domain, firewall is turned off opn the PC and server. I can access all of the resources on the server (outside of powershell), using for example the VMM admin console, or browsing shares.
April 24th, 2009 9:03am

Anyone have any ideas on this one?
April 27th, 2009 11:29am

So, if you create it via PowerShell, you can't start it from the remote PC... If you create it via the UI, then can you start it from that same remote PC?

April 27th, 2009 12:17pm

No perhaps I need to clarify.

If I load up powershell on the VMM Server, and run the script (which creates a VM), everything works perfectly..... just the same as if I had created the VM using the VMM Admin Console GUI.

However, if I run the same script from a PC, I get an error saying;

"Contact the Virtual Machine Manager administrator to verify that your account is a member of a valid user role and then try the operation again."

Im logged in with the same account I was using from the server.

Does that make sense?

April 27th, 2009 1:13pm

Did this ever get resolved?

If not, can you post the complete script, and show what line causes the error?

I have no SCVMM, so any response will be a SWAG on my part, but it might help, and if I get curious enough, I might load up SCVMM on my home system

Karl

June 23rd, 2009 2:53pm

Well sort of, the workaround is to install the VMM Admin Console on the PC from which you wish to run the script.
  • Marked as answer by College Guy Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:57 PM
June 23rd, 2009 2:57pm

Well sort of, the workaround is to install the VMM Admin Console on the PC from which you wish to run the script.

That's not actually a workaround, it's the way things work with Version 1 powershell - you can't use the tools if they aren't installed locally;)
June 23rd, 2009 3:00pm

That's not actually a workaround, it's the way things work with Version 1 powershell - you can't use the tools if they aren't installed locally;)
June 23rd, 2009 3:00pm

You must to have VMM Admin Console installed in the PC where you are executing the script. There is no way to execute VMM cmdlt without it installed. 

When you install the VMM Admin console, it allows you to import the VMM module to PowerShell and execute the VMM cmdlt.

August 12th, 2015 5:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics