VMM Convert Virtual Machine Error 3501 Not enough Disk Space

Trying to convert a virtual machine.

There is not enough disk space on the available volumes.
Maximum disk space on the most appropriate volume, accounting for the host resource utilization  (in megabytes): 218052 
The virtual machine requirement (in megabytes): 260116 
The maximum available space at the time of evaluation, after considering the virtual machine requirements (in megabytes): 218052
ID: 3501

BUT I have a Shared Cluster Volume mapped to C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 with 10T of available space.

Found this link, but that work around is for a migration, not a conversion
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachinemanager/thread/5410a1a1-684d-409c-a85b-0aed42ab089c/

April 22nd, 2013 8:38pm

I ended up getting around it by figuring out the powershell command. I wish the VMM UI was more stable.

$ESXHost = Get-SCVMHost -ComputerName "MyESXServer"
$VMHost = Get-SCVMHost -ComputerName "MyHyperVServer"
$VM = Get-SCVirtualMachine -VMHost $ESXHost -Name "SourceVM"
New-SCV2V -VM $VM -VMHost $VMHost -Name "DestinationVM" -Path "C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\VMs" -MemoryMB 512 -RunAsynchronously

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 23rd, 2013 12:54am

Hi James.

Thanks for the info about this problem in SCVMM.

I`m getting a error in the last PS command. "Cannot validate argument on parameter 'VM'. The argument is null"

Im total new to PowerShell, so any help I would appreciate.

BR. Daniel

PS C:\Users\Adm4admin> New-SCV2v -VM $VM -VMhost $VMHost -Name "Databaseserver" -Path "C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2\Hyper-V
\" -MemoryMB 2048 -RunAsynchronously
New-SCV2V : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'VM'. The argument is null. Supply a non-null argument and try the co
mmand again.
At line:1 char:15
+ New-SCV2v -VM $VM -VMhost $VMHost -Name "Databaseserver" -Path "C:\ClusterStorag ...
+               ~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [New-SCV2V], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager.Cmdlets.V2
   VCmdlet

June 22nd, 2013 10:52am

Found the problem. Hostname was misspelled :-/

Br. Daniel

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 22nd, 2013 12:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics