VMM 2012 RC V2V - Insufficient Space and Placement Bug

Setup consists of:
VMM 2012 RC
3 node cluster of Windows 2008 R2 Deployed via VMM 2012 Bare Metal Deployment
3 FC Luns with ample freespace

What I'm seeing during a V2V from an ESX VM is that if I don't have sufficent free space on the local system drive (in my case E: since this is a bare metal deployed system) or If I don't mark the local system drive for placement,  I can't complete the wizard because of warnings about the E: drive either not having enough space or it not being available for placement.

Only if I free up space on the local system drive AND mark it for placment, can I then get to the next screen to select a shared LUN.

Anyone else see this?

February 16th, 2012 11:04pm

I've seen something similar but with P2V. It detects that neither of my two servers have enough storage available for a 2TB .vhd when they both have a connection to a 4.5TB volume cluster volume via C:\ClusterShared\Volume1. It seems it is only taking into account the space available on the local volumes as the default for VMM 2012 is to create non-highly available VMs, so the .vhds must be placed in the local file system. This means it won't take into account any space available on cluster shared volumes.

The system volume has to be available for placement if you want to place the .vhds on the cluster though as that is where the cluster folder is located.

I got round this by thin provisioning a LUN and connecting it directly to the cluster node. The wizard then detects that there is enough space on the local file system (in this case on Z:\) but allowing placement on C:\ also means that I can change the default storage location for the new .vhds from Z:\ to C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 and deploy a HA VM during the P2V process.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 14th, 2012 4:22pm

I've seen something similar but with P2V. It detects that neither of my two servers have enough storage available for a 2TB .vhd when they both have a connection to a 4.5TB volume cluster volume via C:\ClusterShared\Volume1. It seems it is only taking into account the space available on the local volumes as the default for VMM 2012 is to create non-highly available VMs, so the .vhds must be placed in the local file system. This means it won't take into account any space available on cluster shared volumes.

The system volume has to be available for placement if you want to place the .vhds on the cluster though as that is where the cluster folder is located.

I got round this by thin provisioning a LUN and connecting it directly to the cluster node. The wizard then detects that there is enough space on the local file system (in this case on Z:\) but allowing placement on C:\ also means that I can change the default storage location for the new .vhds from Z:\ to C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 and deploy a HA VM during the P2V process.

Hello,

Im facing the very same issue, and I have followed your idea by connecting a LUN directly to the node, but when I run the p2v guide in VMM2012 I still get the dreadful "there is not enough space on the available volumes", I really thought this would be the solution for me but as it seems no :(

Do you have any other ideas ?

July 27th, 2012 2:32pm

IIRC the volume had to be formatted otherwise the cluster node won't see it.

You could try creating a thin provisioned .VHD file on your cluster node and mount that as a Z:\ drive?

I think you might have to refresh the cluster node too so that SCVMM picks up the newly connected drive...

July 27th, 2012 3:11pm

Thx for rapid reply :)

Well, I sure can see the disk on the node, in this case as e:\ , however its not empty, so you believe it will work if I reformat it prior to P2V ?

also in the log of VMM a refresh states that it has found e:after refresh.

July 27th, 2012 3:16pm

Just found this, check it out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2685247

Edit: Oh and you don't need a freshly formattted drive. Just one that you can copy files to. I was assuming you'd created a new LUN without a partition on it.

Did it not work after the refresh found the E: drive then?

July 27th, 2012 4:45pm

Edit: Oh and you don't need a freshly formattted drive. Just one that you can copy files to. I was assuming you'd created a new LUN without a partition on it.

Thx, Looks promising indeed, Ill get on to it A.S.A.P ... that is after the weekend.

Have a great one :)

July 27th, 2012 4:54pm

An update on this issue.

I could in no way get it to work even if I followed that KB and set the newly added LUN disk as "available for placement", the p2v guide still told me there was insufficient space available. I solved it by adding a standalone Hyper-V Server with sufficient space to the domain, added that host to VMM, and after doing the p2v to the standalone Host I migrated the server to the cluster, that did the trick, but it would have been great if p2v straight into the cluster as its supposed to had worked, Microsoft: please fix this "bug" A.S.A.P !

July 31st, 2012 3:27pm

Glad you managed to work around it in the end... Although I'm surprised you managed to get it migrated as I've had the same issue when trying to migrate servers too! I ended up having to use Hyper-V admin to export the VM, copy it to the cluster and then re-import it.

James.

July 31st, 2012 4:40pm

there's another workaround which you can try:

• when you select the drives which you want converted (the storage from the source VM), uncheck everything but the OS
  • in the next screen of the wizard, choose the destination host and then select the storage which you want to use
  • go back to the drivers page and select all of them :)

August 2nd, 2012 2:17pm

• when you select the drives which you want converted (the storage from the source VM), uncheck everything but the OS
  • in the next screen of the wizard, choose the destination host and then select the storage which you want to use

It still give me the error, and dot let me go into the path :(

And i dont have any available machine to do the proposed answer trick.

Also, the script wont work, i tried a diferent one with fewer settings with no luck.

September 28th, 2012 2:08pm

That used to work in SCVMM2012 RC but was 'fixed' in the RTM version.
September 28th, 2012 4:56pm

I'm facing this dreadful issue. I managed to create a 2 TB dynamic disk on one of the nodes, assigned a drive letter and I can write to it with no problem.

However, it doesn't show up in the Hardware tab to enable it for placement. I believe it knows it is dynamic, so, won't even let me. The funny fact is that it shows that physical disk in the storage tab, but won't show the volume in the hardware tab.

The Volume is a 2TB MBR volume, as requested by the procedure.

luckily, I've managed to create a functional V2V PS script, but it is really annoying that you can't use the wizard.

Any ideas?

September 30th, 2013 9:53am

Did you refresh the cluster? Drives don't show as available for placement until after a refresh.

September 30th, 2013 11:29am

Yes, did refresh many times. No change is reported.
September 30th, 2013 11:46am

It's not that you've got the VM marked as highly available? As other servers in a cluster would not be able to see the volume, it won't let you deploy a HA VM to a disk of this type.

September 30th, 2013 11:53am

Well it is the v2v wizard so there is no such option. The question is that in the hardware tab I see, for example, the C drive and even the 350 Mb reserved drive available, but can't see the volume on top of the VHD.
September 30th, 2013 12:03pm

If you create a new VM, the availability bit is in the hardware configuration at the bottom. Doesn't the V2V wizard have a similar page? I'd have thought you would have to select the hardware profile of the destination VM at some point in the wizard?

September 30th, 2013 12:14pm

I'm facing this dreadful issue. I managed to create a 2 TB dynamic disk on one of the nodes, assigned a drive letter and I can write to it with no problem.

However, it doesn't show up in the Hardware tab to enable it for placement. I believe it knows it is dynamic, so, won't even let me. The funny fact is that it shows that physical disk in the storage tab, but won't show the volume in the hardware tab.

The Volume is a 2TB MBR volume, as requested by the procedure.

luckily, I've managed to create a functional V2V PS script, but it is really annoying that you can't use the wizard.

Any ideas?

October 1st, 2013 2:12am

You can find it here:

http://fehse.ca/2013/10/scvmm-v2v-and-powershell/

Thank you!

October 1st, 2013 2:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics