VMM 2012 Error 20552 - For ISO share VMM does not have appropriate permissions to access the resource

I have included an ISO network share in my VMM 2012 library by:

1. Library servers -> Add Library Share -> Add Unmanaged Share.
  2. I then selected the file share e.g \fs1\ISO
  3. I set the share permissions on \fs1\ISO to everyone FULL
  4. I set the NTFS permissions to read-only for the following AD accounts:
    • VMM service account
    • VMM Library account
    • HV target host machine account
    • Network service

The problem I have is I still get error the following error regarding permissions:

Error (20552) VMM does not have appropriate permissions to access the resource \\fs1.domain.local\ISO\Zabbix_2.0_x86.i686-0.0.1.preload.iso on the scvmma1.domain.local server.

Ensure that Virtual Machine Manager has the appropriate rights to perform this action. Also, verify that CredSSP authentication is currently enabled on the service configuration of the target computer scvmma1.domain.local. To enable the CredSSP on the service configuration of the target computer, run the following command from an elevated command line: winrm set winrm/config/service/auth @{CredSSP="true"}

I have also set the command on the VMM server winrm set winrm/config/service/auth @{CredSSP="true"} but no joy.

Please note the same error is thrown if i share the iso without copy, and with copying, it seems a permission issue yet I have assigned at least what i have read are the correct permissions.

Any ideas what else I have missed please?

• Edited by g18c Friday, May 24, 2013 3:47 PM
May 24th, 2013 6:42pm

I've just checked the default permissions of my VMM Library shares.

Looks like your share permissions should be fine - EVERYONE, FULL

However, what I see with my NTFS permissions is that the VMM service account and the Host machine account both have Full Control permissions. I haven't read what the minimum permissions required are for the library shares, but my gut feeling would be that Read access wouldn't be enough. I say that because from within VMM itself, there are properties of library items that are modified by VMM, and I would assume the VMM service account is going to need better than Read access for doing so.

• Proposed as answer by jaric Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:48 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 25th, 2013 3:01pm

I have Faced the same issue in SCVMM 2012 Sp1 in HA mode, when i shifted the VMM Service to 2nd node.

Actually Run As Account need to be set again in Vmm Console when Service is active on Second node.

We reset it then Event/error 20552 and 2606 get solved

January 3rd, 2014 5:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics