VMM 2012R2: VMM Server, agent status: access denied

After upgrade SCVMM 2012SP1 to 2012R2 Library Server became unavailable. All library sources with status "missing".

In VMM Console (Fabric - Servers - Infrastructure) VMM Server and Library Server agent status "access denied".

Tryed to remove and add Library Server: Error 24363 VMM agent needs to be reassociated.

Reassociating with different credentials (local and domain) goes fine, but agent status still "access denied".

By the way, after upgrade SCVMM no new events in windows eventlog.

How to repair work of VMM Agent on VMM Server?

November 7th, 2013 2:10pm

I am also having the same problem.  I even reformated the system and did a complete fresh install and had the same problem. A solution would be nice as I now don't have anygood management tool for both of my clusters.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 8th, 2013 12:14am

Same for me.
November 8th, 2013 9:35am

I have WSUS, SCCM, SCVMM on single server. I had problem WDS and WSUS services failed to start. I found solution here http://www.david-obrien.net/2012/09/18/re-adding-pxe-support-to-configuration-manager-site/

So, all I need is rename "c:\program" file to somethink else.

It is very fun, But SCVMM agent starts working!
November 12th, 2013 1:20pm

I have one host "Access Denied" status. Other 5 are OK.

Problem occured after patching Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 nodes weekend.

Tried everything - reinstalled Agent, checked security, restarted servers/services.

November 12th, 2013 4:03pm

I have done a clean install of VMM 2012 r2, and am getting the same thing...

VMM Server, Agent Status: Access Denied.

I didn't notice until I had removed the Library share from the main VMM server, to relocate it to a larger drive.

I cannot re-add the library share, because the agent status is access denied.

I've also tried re-associating using powershell but it just loops saying it needs to be re-associated... again...

November 27th, 2013 8:30pm

I have done a clean install of VMM 2012 r2, and am getting the same thing...

VMM Server, Agent Status: Access Denied.

I didn't notice until I had removed the Library share from the main VMM server, to relocate it to a larger drive.

I cannot re-add the library share, because the agent status is access denied.

I've also tried re-associating using powershell but it just loops saying it needs to be re-associated... again...

• Edited by Krytical13 Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:31 PM
November 27th, 2013 8:30pm

I get this too now. Very frustrating. I had everything working very smoothly and now suddenly all servers are Access Denied, the "update library" job keeps failing. I also cannot add new hosts, and if I remove an host and re-add I get a 2912 error and some nonsense about time/date differences.... How do I get this working again.

Edit...

Found AD and scvmm times were slightly out from each other causing a Kerberos ticket fail. All works fine now.

November 28th, 2013 12:46pm

I get this too now. Very frustrating. I had everything working very smoothly and now suddenly all servers are Access Denied, the "update library" job keeps failing. I also cannot add new hosts, and if I remove an host and re-add I get a 2912 error and some nonsense about time/date differences.... How do I get this working again.

Edit...

Found AD and scvmm times were slightly out from each other causing a Kerberos ticket fail. All works fine now.

November 28th, 2013 12:46pm

Bumping this, having same problem for a month, still no valid answer from Microsoft.

January 9th, 2014 8:29pm

Same problem with VMM host.  VMM and Library Server agent status is access denied...Console works fine and I can still manage hyper-V hosts. 

This happens as soon as I add a hyper-v node or cluster.  Removing cluster does not fix the issue, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling SCVMM (using same DB).  If I execute a new install with a new DB issue goes away until I add the hyper-v cluster.

January 27th, 2014 9:09pm

I had exactly same issue after upgrading from SCVMM 2012 SP1 to SCVMM 2012 R2
The issue was related to certificates

In SCVMM server certificates store, under Trusted People, you should see only one certificate

- starting with your SCVMM server name
- with "Intended Purposes" for Server,Client Authentication
and, this is very important,
- a "Friendly Name" equals to SCVMM_CERTIFICATE_KEY_CONTAINERyour_scvmm_server_name.
This certificate should have an expiration date equal approximatively to five years after the year you upgraded

In my case, there were 3 certificates starting by my scvmm server name
- 2 with "Inteded Purposes"  equal to ALL with an expiration date to 2017 ( means those certificates were issued in 2012 during previous installation of SCVMM 2012 and 2012 SP1 ) and "Friendly Name" was set to none

- 1 with "Intended Purposes" equals to Server,Client Authentication and "Friendly Name" equals to SCVMM_CERTIFICATE_KEY_CONTAINERmy_scvmm_server_name

I've exported and deleted the two bad certificates and immediately, in VMM Console , VMM Server and Library Server became Green

hth

• Proposed as answer by ismo_ Thursday, October 02, 2014 7:00 AM
January 28th, 2014 7:47pm

I have the same issue.

Tried the solution above, from Jean-Gaetan,  with no luck.

January 29th, 2014 1:43am

After installing the latest Update Rollup for SCVMM 2012 R2, this is now working for me.

Update Rollup 1 for SCVMM 2012 R2

• Proposed as answer by Nordland Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:21 PM
January 29th, 2014 7:21pm

Jean - your solution worked for me. Thanks!
February 6th, 2014 9:51pm

For me solution was to disable IPv6 on VMM server for connection used for communication with hyper-v host. That solved all communication issues with hosts. Strange enough...
July 8th, 2014 12:29pm

In SCVMM server -run command->type MMC->selected-> Add-snap in-> select->Certifcate-computer account->Local computer

Click ok

There were 2 certificates under trusted people, one with FQDN and another with NETBIOS name of the host-in-question

Since my host-in-question, belong untrusted standalone host. hence I removed certificate of FQDN (after export to desktop and deleted)

Then ran refresh job on the host-in-question, now it shows Green with Responding..Access deneid gone.

Thanks a lot to Jean for directing me to right direction.

• Proposed as answer by ismo_ Thursday, October 02, 2014 7:00 AM
September 25th, 2014 5:47am

I had exactly same issue after upgrading from SCVMM 2012 SP1 to SCVMM 2012 R2
The issue was related to certificates

In SCVMM server certificates store, under Trusted People, you should see only one certificate

- starting with your SCVMM server name
- with "Intended Purposes" for Server,Client Authentication
and, this is very important,
- a "Friendly Name" equals to SCVMM_CERTIFICATE_KEY_CONTAINERyour_scvmm_server_name.
This certificate should have an expiration date equal approximatively to five years after the year you upgraded

In my case, there were 3 certificates starting by my scvmm server name
- 2 with "Inteded Purposes"  equal to ALL with an expiration date to 2017 ( means those certificates were issued in 2012 during previous installation of SCVMM 2012 and 2012 SP1 ) and "Friendly Name" was set to none

- 1 with "Intended Purposes" equals to Server,Client Authentication and "Friendly Name" equals to SCVMM_CERTIFICATE_KEY_CONTAINERmy_scvmm_server_name

I've exported and deleted the two bad certificates and immediately, in VMM Console , VMM Server and Library Server became Green

hth

The solution by Jean works!! Thanks

• Edited by Sam NZ Tuesday, February 03, 2015 10:01 PM
February 4th, 2015 12:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics