VMM 2008 R2: Can´t manage cluster with Error ID: 10403

Hello!

Our VMM Server 2008 R2 manages 6 lusters Hyper-V 2008 R2.

One had a problem, so I decided to remove and add it again.

Trying to add, it returnos the following error:

• my.cluster.fqdn is not listed in Active Directory Domain Services.
  • Verify that the computer name and the domain name are correct, and then try the operation again.
  • ID: 10403

When I try to add using the "Skip Active Directory Name Verification", the job sarts and then:

• Error (415)
    Agent installation failed copying E:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\agents\I386\2.0.4521.0\msiInstaller.exe to \\my.cluster.fqdn\ADMIN$\msiInstaller.exe.
     (The network name cannot be found)
  • Recommended Action
    1. Ensure my.cluster.fqdn is online and not blocked by a firewall.
    2. Ensure that file and printer sharing is enabled on my.cluster.fqdn and it not blocked by a firewall.
    3. Ensure that there is sufficient free space on the system volume.
    4. Verify that the ADMIN$ share on my.cluster.fqdn exists. If the ADMIN$ share does not exist, reboot my.cluster.fqdn and then try the operation again.

I cant access access the path \\my.cluster.fqdn\ADMIN$ using Windows Explorer, but if I try each node name \admin$, it access ok.

Any idea how to solve this?

August 26th, 2015 8:56pm

Hi Elton!

Thanks for helping.

Firewall are all disabled on all related servers. 

But I didnt try to access the shares from the DCs before. I tried just now, and the name resolves OK but it doesnt work for the cluster name. 

Cluster is OK, I can do live migrations OK, Cluster validation only shows warning for pending updates, but both servers show no updates when running windows update.

PS C:\> setspn -L myclustername

Registered ServicePrincipalNames for CN=myclustername,OU=HOST,OU=SERVERS,OU=VCA,OU=COMPANYNAME,DC=COMPANYDOMAIN,DC=com,DC=
br:
        MSServerCluster/myclustername.redebahia.com.br
        MSServerCluster/myclustername
        MSServerClusterMgmtAPI/myclustername.fqdn
        MSServerClusterMgmtAPI/myclustername
        MSClusterVirtualServer/myclustername.fqdn
        MSClusterVirtualServer/myclustername
        HOST/myclustername.fqdn
        HOST/myclustername

PS C:\>

Any other idea?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 11:41am

Hi!

VMM Server and the cluster are in same domain, but different sites.

Other managed clusters are on different sites too, each one in one different city.

NIC configuration are OK, as you said, management NIC has complete configuration and cluster NICs only have IP and subnet. 

I ran "setspn -x" into VMM server, and the results found 4 groups of duplicate SPNs, but none of them related to the VMM Server nor to the problematic cluster hostnames or usernames.

Running "ipconfig /displaydns" in the VMM Server, it shows names pointing to the correct IP addresses. 

I will check the link to collect the trace log. 

Thanks.

August 31st, 2015 10:38am

I followed the throubleshooting checklist sent for me by Microsoft Support Team:

0. Run a cluster validation report.

All cluster validation results are okay, except for the Validate Software Update Levels that shows warning The servers do not all have the same software updates. I checked windows update and it shows no new updates for both nodes and manually, I downloaded each update listed in the report and tried to install, with no success: this update is not applicable to your system.

1. Verify that VMM and all Hyper-V Cluster Nodes have all the latest Hotfixes.

Cluster nodes have all the latest hotfixes. VMM server has pending updates. I will schedule it.

2. Verify correct Firewall settings - disable Firewall as a test

Firewall are all disabled in control panel on VMM server and cluster nodes.

3. Verify ping works both ways from the VMM server and to each Node in the host.

Ping works OK.

4. Verify that the VMM server can connect to each Cluster Node's C$ share and each Cluster Node can access the VMM's C$ share.

C$ Share are ok in all directions

5. Verify remote WMI queries work, from the VMM server Run "wbemtest" from the start menu and click "Connect...". Enter \\ClusterNodeName\root\MSCluster for the namespace, enter the credentials you are using to try to add the cluster in VMM, select the "Packet privacy" option in the lower right, and click "Connect". Repeat for \\ClusterNodeName\root\cimv2namespace and verify that the wbemtest connectivity works for these 2 namespaces on every cluster node.

WMI queries are OK.

6. Verfiy that WinRM is working properly, from the VMM server ping each Cluster node using WinRM id -r:ClusterNodeName, see the more information section for the link to a VMM WinRm blog post.

Ping using WinRM is OK.

7. If any of the Nodes Fail any of the basic networking tests and there are more the 2 Nodes evict the problem node from the cluster and attempt to add the Cluster back to VMM.

I can add the nodes individually, in VMM they appear as a stand alone vmm server.

August 31st, 2015 11:39am

Additionally, I sent to them the trace log. Waiting for feedback.

Later I will open the log and try to find something and post here. 

August 31st, 2015 11:41am

Additional Information:

I ran "cluster res" in both nodes, and all resources are Online.

I ran "Discover-Cluster clustername" in VMM Powershell and got:

Unable to contact cluster service on mycluster.fqdn. (Error ID: 13805)

August 31st, 2015 1:51pm

I was just checking:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/systemcenter/en-US/8c712d02-3651-4bf4-b06c-4a9a41a0006b/adding-hyperv-cluster-to-vmm-fails-with-code-13805

That was solved after update DNS record. So Id follow this procedure:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/969049

But when checking DNS service, I found a situation that may me related.

On DNS Servers of the Site that the cluster has the problem, its missing the reverse zone.

All of other 14 DNS servers (domain controllers) have this reverse zone, that is the reverse zone for the LAN IP addresses.

I solved this problem of DNS replication, but the problem persists. 

August 31st, 2015 3:29pm

I was just checking:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/systemcenter/en-US/8c712d02-3651-4bf4-b06c-4a9a41a0006b/adding-hyperv-cluster-to-vmm-fails-with-code-13805

That was solved after update DNS record. So Id follow this procedure:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/969049

But when checking DNS service, I found a situation that may me related.

On DNS Servers of the Site that the cluster has the problem, its missing the reverse zone.

All of other 14 DNS servers (domain controllers) have this reverse zone, that is the reverse zone for the LAN IP addresses.

I solved this problem of DNS replication, but the problem persists. 

August 31st, 2015 7:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics