VIP Swap and 'The semaphore timeout period has expired' errors
We use the VIP swap technique of rolling out new versions of our apps. These apps use an Azure SQL Database. Starting sometime early this year we started seeing SQL Database errors during the VIP swap. The problem is very consistent, if we have database activity during the VIP Swap it is very likely to generate one or more of these errors. As you can see below in our custom formatted version of the error the actual SQL Error number is 121 and the text is 'The semaphore timeout period has expired':

SQLError Number:121, Message:A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.) 

We do utilize the Enterprise library for transient error handling and I have seen these errors from time to time and random points, but the fact that this is very consistent with a VIP swap bothers me. Since both deployments exist before and after the VIP swap why would there be any interruption in SQL Database connectivity? Our apps consist of a Web App, a few Web Services, and a few Worker Roles. I have seen this error from all of them at different times during VIP swaps.

Any ideas?
September 5th, 2012 4:48pm

Hi Curious,

Thank you for your question.  

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.  

Thank you for your understanding and support

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2012 1:55am

Hi,

For this issue, I would have a support case created for further research as soon as possible:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Thanks,

Cathy Miller

• Marked as answer by Curious George Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:09 PM
September 12th, 2012 3:43pm

Hi,

For this issue, I would have a support case created for further research as soon as possible:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Thanks,

Cathy Miller

• Marked as answer by Curious George Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:09 PM
September 12th, 2012 3:43pm

I'm having the exact same issue.  Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?
October 8th, 2012 11:48pm

Indeed I have received acknowledgement from Microsoft that this is a known bug (via Azure support). I also was told it was supposed to be fixed last week, but clearly this has been delayed as we are still seeing it as well.
October 9th, 2012 3:03am

Just an update that I was informed today that the fix was delayed. No new ETA yet. I will try to remember to update this thread when I hear and have validated it is fixed.
October 10th, 2012 11:41pm

Just an update. This bug still exists, we see it most times when we deploy. I have not followed up with Azure support but it feels like they completely dropped the ball on this.
April 9th, 2013 11:53pm

We get it on pretty much every VIP swap as well.

MS is failing pretty hard on the support side...

April 10th, 2013 10:14am

Just wanted to throw my hat into this issue as well.
April 15th, 2013 7:55pm

Same issue when doing a VIP swap.  This is effecting our production users.

April 17th, 2013 4:05am

Still happening for us.  After more than a year...no progress.
October 8th, 2013 3:40pm

Yeah it appears this has completely fallen off the radar for Microsoft. Might I suggest everyone submit a support ticket for this and maybe it will raise it to their attention as a needed fix?

October 8th, 2013 3:43pm

Yeah it appears this has completely fallen off the radar for Microsoft. Might I suggest everyone submit a support ticket for this and maybe it will raise it to their attention as a needed fix?

October 8th, 2013 3:43pm

Still happens so apparently this is not fixed. This is really crucial.
April 30th, 2014 10:39am

Over two years later this still isn't fixed.
November 5th, 2014 4:18pm

This is happening for us as well. Very frustrating. Will be signing up for support shortly and submitting a ticket!
November 27th, 2014 3:19am

We're also seeing exactly this problem... three years after it seems to have been first reported!

It looks like plenty of others are seeing the same. Does anyone have a link to a Connect or Support ticket that we can add our voices to?

September 10th, 2015 6:11am

I just want to add to this too. I have been using azure for 1 year and have 2 cloud services and we also use sql azure databases. We have the function to disable database activity in our applications which stops all database requests. We disable database activity now before doing any VIP swap and then we enable database activity afterwards. If we do not do this we always see two of the exact same error "The semaphore timeout period has expired". I would also like a fix to this.
September 14th, 2015 2:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics