V2V from VMware to Hyper-V fails
I'm trying to V2V from VMware version 4 to Hyper-V 3.0 using SCVMM SP1 Update2.  I have a 3 host cluster that exclusively uses SMB storage as it's shared storage.  When I run through the V2V wizard I select the storage share .  When I execute the process, I get an error 'VMM could not find the specified path (unc path to storage share) on the NO_PARAM server.  I've tried pointing to a folder on the share and the wizard won't even take it, coming back with 'The specified path is not a valid folder path on (unc path to my storage).  I am able to save the VMware VM to the library but this is a lengthier process.  Is it possible to perform a V2V to a cluster using SMB storage or do I need to h
June 19th, 2013 1:34am

This is a known bug that SMB won't play very well in the V2V context.

The easy workaround:

run the conversion and target locally attached storage on the host, and perform a live migration/storage migration afterwards to your SMB share.

can you try this and give me some feedback?

-kn

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2013 9:10pm

I actually tried this yesterday and it does work.  The interesting thing is that I have performed these from an actual physical machine to SMB storage, sometimes with an erroneous error at the end saying that it failed because of storage (but it doesn't fail) and sometimes with no error.

The site I'm working with is using exclusively SMB storage, most hosts are in a cluster, and they don't have enough local storage to accommodate many of the VM's.  I could either set-up a CSV across the cluster or set up a separate host to use as a migration conduit, but either way takes more time.

It's "good" to know this is a know issue...I've seen a few posts alluding to it...but do you know if there's either an MS article on it or if it's acknowledged and they're working on it?  It's kind of crummy to have to jump through additional hoops to move someone off of VMware since we're telling them how GREAT SCVMM integration and management is :(

June 20th, 2013 4:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics