Using local computer's default profile
Normally in domain environment, when users logs in, default proile loading from a server. Is it possible to use local machine's default profile instead of downloading from server?
July 20th, 2010 10:48pm

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but the local default profile will always be used, UNLESS you store a default profile in the NETLOGON foler. Go back and check your domain NETLOGON folder. If you have a "Default User" profile stored there, that is the profile that will be used. If you want to use a local profile, then you will need to remove that profile from the NETLOGON folder.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2010 11:09pm

Hi ICBL , Thanks for posting here. Based on my knowledge ,if system admin not assign specify user profile for an account , then system will using local default profile as user initial profile on the computer of account login. User profiles overview http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738303(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 21st, 2010 10:16am

I agree with you Tiger. While not very common, I have seen some organizations take advantage of the feature that if you store the Default Users profile in the NetLogon folder, that one will be used PRIOR to a local profile being created from the local computer's default profile. Using this method, organizations can control the initial profile. As long as that profile is stored in the NetLOGON folder, you cannot control when to use the one in NETLOGON vs Local. If its there, it will always be used as first choice. I have not had alot of hands-on testing of this, but am aware of this option. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 23rd, 2010 5:05am

Hi JM, yes, this is a supported method and you can find the setp by setp about how to implement it on Microsoft site: How to turn the default user profile into a network default user profile in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289 HiICBL, In your case, could you confirm that if system admin had set the default profile in your enviroment . Generally, local default profile is the default initial prfile for user , except customized setting. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 23rd, 2010 8:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics