Using godaddy - 1 Server
I have one server with Windows Server 2008 and I want to host my website on godaddy. Is there a way to do this without buying another server?
June 9th, 2010 3:43am

If you are planning to host the website on GoDaddy, why would you need the server then? Or do you mean that you are purchasing a domain name and GoDaddy is asking for your NS (DNS) records and since you are planning to host DNS on your server...you only have one? If this is what you meant, you can provide GoDaddy with the same IP twice for the required NS records. Please clarify.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 9th, 2010 4:00am

Yes, 1. You use Godaddy DNS. Godaddy has a Total DNS option where you can edit records like A, C, MX while using their DNS servers. 2. You use Server 2008 DNS. Tell godaddy your NS' (you need two) and config DNS yourself on your won servers. So for example, if you want your www.yourdomain.com to be on Godaddy Hosted and MX records to point to your Server 2008, you just add a n A record for www that points to Godaddy's IP address and an MX record for you mail that points to your server's IP address. But honestly, as Jorge mentioned, your question is very vague and it's difficult to answer . My answer is just an assumption. Can you be more specific?Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
June 9th, 2010 5:43am

Sorry, I posted this when I was half asleep. I meant that I bought the domain on Godaddy and want to host it on my computer.
June 9th, 2010 2:26pm

Ahhhh. The easiest way to do it is to use Godaddy's DNS. Leave Godaddy's Servers, like NS25.DOMAINCONTROL.COM, etc. In the domain mamanger page, select Total DNS Control You will see a list of DNS Records, erase the one you do not want. Add these new A record Host Points To @ YourPublicIP Address www YourPublicIP Address If you are going to run Exchange, also add these A and MX records. A Records Host Points To Mail YourPublicIP Address MX Records Host Points To @ mail.yourdomainname.com If you want to use your own DNS Server, then YES, you will need to servers, a primary and a secondary DNS. But the way I described it above you only need your one server. Don't forget to open port 80 on you firewall for www and have make sure your IIS host header (bindings) match your FQDN. Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
June 9th, 2010 4:37pm

Hello SZH1, I also agree with Falcon's DNS recommendation. It is more cost effective to use the GoDaddy's DNS services, you are already paying for it. Now, to host the website on your own webserver, you'll need to prepare for it by: 1) obtaining a STATIC public IP address. If you have an internet connection that uses a dynamic IP, it would be best if you invest a few more dollars and have your ISP make it static. Otherwise, the domain name that you purchased is not going to be updated automatically every time you change your public IP. If you are unsure of what your public IP is, simply go to http://www.MySourceIP.com, or contact our ISP for more information. 2) more than likely, your Windows server is being hosted within your internal network. You'll need to configure your Firewall/NAT device to do port translation and map the public IP to the private IP on the ports that your website will be using, such as 80 and maybe 443 (if you are doing HTTPS). That's about it to get you going. Then you simply need to secure the website and maintain the server. Happy coding!Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 9th, 2010 5:11pm

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH! Now do I still need the AD DS and DNS server roles or just IIS?
June 9th, 2010 5:19pm

AD is not required for the website. As a matter of fact, I dont recommend installing IIS on an AD server (domain controller). Assuming that you have no requirement for AD within your private network, do not install it, or if you have go ahead and DCPROMO it down. If you have more than one computer on your private network and you are using a router (which connects you to the internet) in your private network, simply point your computers DNS clients settings to your router. This way, you dont have to run DNS services on the server either. The fewer the services, the smaller the footprint on the server, which means less to manage, patch, secure, etc... Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 9th, 2010 5:39pm

Thanks.
June 9th, 2010 5:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics