Using a hand held for rdp - very slow performance

My customer is trying to implement a bar code scanning system to improve their inventory management and shipping efficiency. They just built a new warehouse and are in the process of moving in. They have purchased 2 Intermec handheld bar code scanners which run Windows CE and support an RDP session over wi-fi. We have installed 2 Cisco 1602 wifi access points.

The software that they run is called Chempax. It is an industry specific app written for the chemical industry. The chempax app has a special program that is designed to run  on the 4" screen of the handheld device. When the scanner connects to the terminal server, the session automatically launches that app. Basically, all it does is let the operator scan bar codes to move product from location to location. It would seem to be something that would not require much in the way of computing speed on the remote end. But we are having major problems implementing this system. The handheld keeps dropping the rdp connection, even when it has a strong wi-fi signal. It will work for a short while and then the screen will just hang for a while and then it will start working again.

I have tested the app using a laptop and it works great on the laptop, but I have not been able to get it working on the handheld.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

February 4th, 2014 5:53am

Thanks. I tried that already. They weren't much help.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2014 9:00am

Thanks. I tried that already. They weren't much help.

Unfortunately I know exactly what you mean. Have you checked signal strength etc? sometimes these devices are more sensitive to signal quality or interference.

February 4th, 2014 9:14am

I'd check with the vendor of the handheld. It sounds like it has issues with the WIFI. If everything works fine with your laptop, it's not the RDP server or the app which causes the problem, but the handheld client connection. In that case, the vendor should be able to support you.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2014 9:52am

Hi,

I agree with Bruno. It seems to be a device side issue. I suggest discussing the issue with the vendor. Also, as it runs Windows CE, you can try to post the question in Windows CE forum for troubleshooting ideas.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=windowsembeddedcompact&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Thanks.

February 5th, 2014 5:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics