Using a PnP Camera on Server 2003 Standard Edition
Hi, i have a Camera which we need to upload images directly onto a 2003 Standard Edition Server. I know this isn't ideal but we would like to do it if its possible. I have tested on an XP laptop and it recognises the Camera and installs the drivers etc. I am using the Camera without an SD card. (The camera has 2gb internal storage) On 2003, there is no Upnp service so i assume this is why the camera is not automatically mounted. I can see it in the registry but not in the OS via My Computer or Manage my Computer. Could anyone tell me how to connect this camera to my Server machine? I have looked and cannot find any 2003/XP drivers for this particular camera and it did not include an installation CD. Maybe Olympus expect everyone to use OS's which automatically install the relevant drivers? I'd be VERY grateful if someone could take the time to help me, thank you very much. Please post if you need any further information
January 31st, 2011 9:53am

Can't you just browse the camera storage via Windows Explorer? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2011 10:37am

Hi Dave The Camera is not mounted at all, i cant even see it listed in Disk Management or Device Manager. When i run regmon i can see some USB registry activity but because there is no UpnP service, it does not get mapped to a drive. USB sticks work fine but i cannot access the internal memory of the camera via 2003 at the moment. As mentioned earlier, everything worked fine on XP. Thanks Pete
February 1st, 2011 4:39am

found this article very help ful states This behavior occurs because Windows Server 2003 does not support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813547 http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
February 1st, 2011 4:49am

Hi Syed Thanks for the link. I understand Server does not have Upnp and thats why i mentioned there was no Upnp Service running on the server. I completely understand why Microsoft chose to remove the service as you shouldn't really be plugging things like cameras into servers. However, my situation requires camera functionality so i need to find a workaround. I have read some links about installing Upnp on Server but don't really want to do this. Ideally i would like a way to copy the XP drivers (If they are not already included on the 2003 build) and associate them with the device. I can't see a way of doing this because apart from the registry, Windows doesnt recognise the device (Even in Device Manager) Thanks for the help so far
February 1st, 2011 4:59am

This is by design from Microsoft so couldnt help but as a matter of fact as you said there are lot more work arounds to install UPNP on server in case if you are really interested to do so please install the windows 2003 in lab and do it.http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
February 1st, 2011 5:03am

Someone in the office just figured this out so i thought id post here just incase anyone else finds themselves in the same boat. The default settings on the camera set the connectivity setting to "PC". This works fine with Windows XP. If you change the Connectivity setting to "Storage" , 2003 allows it to be mounted (Treats it as a USB pen i assume) I can then view / download the pictures i need. Thanks for the help guys
February 1st, 2011 5:34am

Do you have drivers for the camera? Do you see "Generic" camera in device manager. If you do, you can right click it and choose "update driver", "have disk" and so on. BTW, I suppose it is "photographic" camera, in contrast to standard "web" camera. We are using "web" camera for taking photographs on a server and it works OK. If it doesn't work for you, you will have to review your requirements and specify Windows XP as a supported platform for acquiring photographs. I'm writing this because at the place where I work, we have a VUE Testing Center with two testing seats. In order to run this, we must have four physical computers; two testing seats (Windows XP), one server (Windows 2003), one admin station (Windows XP) The admin station is fitted with a USB web camera for taking photographs of candidates and biometric face recognition and a writing pad. It must work on Windows XP and cannot work on Windows Server 2003.
February 1st, 2011 6:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics