Using Win2008 R2 server as a router?
I have some IP cameras (Prefer set the IP address to 192.168.0.1...XXX) connected to a switch then the switch connected to a computer via a network card A. There is another network card B on the computer and connecting to the company network.The IP address of the network card B is 172.20.XXX.XXX (DHCP address by my company DHCP server) and it can access the internet. The computer is running on a Win2008 R2 64bit. So far I haven't configured the network card A yet and how should I setup the network card A and B so that the IP cameras can be accessed by users on the 172.20.XXX.XXX network? Is it correct to setup my win2008 r2 as a router and how should I do that, what knowledge I should know from the online search? Thank you.
September 19th, 2011 8:21am

If you only require hosts on the 172.20.x.x network to access the cameras, this is fairly easy to do. However, it will take some configuration. First, your NIC B will require an IP that will not change. It would be preferrable to configure it with a static IP. However, a reserved IP will do. Second, your server will need to have the Routing and Remote Access service (RRAS) enabled. RRAS is already installed on the Server OS, but not enabled. You can find RRAS in the Admin tools. Enable it and go through the wizard to configure the routing service. Alternatively, IP Forwarding on the server is an easier method to enable routing between NIC A and NICB, but this method does not allow for custom routing configurations. However, it may be applicable for this scenario. Next, your network hosts on the 172.20.x.x network will need to have some routing information. You have two choices... Either the network router on the 172.20.x.x. network needs to have a route added to its table so it knows how to get to the 192.168.0.x network, or all of the hosts on your 172.20.x.x network will need to have a static route added to their local routing tables. Of course, the first option is easier to implement and manage. However, it requires assistance from the network admin team. If you are going to configure the local routing tables on the workstation, they simply need a route added so they know how to get to the 192.168.0.x network. Here is some information to guide you.. Using the Windows Route Command http://www.anitkb.com/2010/03/using-windows-route-command.html How IP Packets are Routed on a Local Area Network http://www.anitkb.com/2010/06/how-ip-packets-are-routed-on-local-area.html How to Enable IP Forwarding on Windows Server 200x http://www.anitkb.com/2010/02/how-to-enable-ip-forwarding-on-windows.html Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 19th, 2011 10:07am

The answer is very detailed and at least I know where to start... Thank you!
September 20th, 2011 11:15am

The answer is very detailed and at least I know where to start... Thank you!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 20th, 2011 11:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics