Using UNC path statements on servers with multiple volumes
This is probably a basic question, but if I need to get to a directory on a server that is split into different volumes (like a c: drive along with an e: drive) and I am required to do it though UNC, how do I (or do I need to) indicate within the UNC path statement which of the various volumes that the directory in question is under? -Brian McKnight
June 7th, 2011 4:36pm

Hi Brian, The quesion is a little unclear. What is the exact thing you are going to do? If this question related to folder sharing, then each shared folder will have a share name, which is unique. So we do not need to add the volume letter when trying to list a shared folder with UNC, like \\computerA\share1, \\computerB\share2.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 9th, 2011 3:31am

if you aim at a unified access unc for different shares (on different volumes), you can solve that with DFS (quick overview http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_File_System_(Microsoft)). with dfs you have a root like \\mydomain.local\dfs in which you target your shares, so that eg \\mydomain.local\dfs\share1 points to your share on c while \\mydomain.local\dfs\share2 points to your share on d
June 9th, 2011 4:11am

Sorry for the lack of clarity. The situation is that I am working with a test server that has a c:/ drive and an e:/ drive. I have nested several device driver source files within the e:/ drive. What I need to do (pursuant to a Quick Start Guide for using MDT2010 through SCCM 2007 thta I am attempting to follow) is use a UNC statement to point to the individual <.inf> file for each driver for the purpose of "importing" the driver into the SCCM Configuration console. I was simply wondering if I need to take into account the volume drive letter in my UNC path statement or, if not, how it would be known to UNC that I am referring to one drive volume over another. -Brian McKnight
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 9th, 2011 2:51pm

If the inf files are all in e:\drive folder, and it is shared with the share name "drive" (which means it can be accessed on network via \\testserver\drive), then of course we do not need the drive letter. If you are doing this step on local system instead of network, you will need the drive letter as you need the system to access e:\drive folder. Cannot confirm if I'm still misunderstood the situation. Please just correct me if I'm wrong.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
June 13th, 2011 5:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics