Using SQL Management Pack to inherite SQL DB health for application.

I trying to integrate the SQL Management pack to obtain the health of several databases our application depends on.  I can't seem to get only the databases we need filtered.  I am using the VSAE integrated with Visual Studio which I have only authored a few management packs with.  I am use to using the 2007 authoring console in the past.

Can someone suggest a proper way to go about doing this?  All I need is a way to only provide health from a few databases that the custom application uses.  Currently, the way I have it configured it is pulling every database that the SQL Management pack knows about.  Which isn't good.  These databases are spread across several instances of SQL, most of them are SQL 2012 instances.  These instances are spread across several different SQL clusters as well.

It is probably something simple I am missing in the configur

July 27th, 2015 2:04pm

You could represent this health in your application model by creating filtered groups (containment relationships using system.group) of specific SQL databases, and then rollup this health of these containers through the model as necessary using dependency monitors.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2015 2:12am

Thanks Johnathan.

I was able to figure out what I did wrong.  In my group population discovery I had to add multiple expressions using the or with some wildcards.  Finally got the correct databases discovered and populated.  Now only if I can get my Linux discoveries working.  :)  Next post!

August 5th, 2015 1:07am

By the way Jonathan, looking forward to next weeks MP Author class. I have used the MP Author tool on and off for various small management packs. Been using Visual Studio more and more but don't have it down 100% yet.  End up going back to either MP Author or even old school authoring console for scom 2007 to work a problem out first.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 6th, 2015 1:01pm

Hi Kristopher,

I'm glad you figured out the problem in your pack, and looking forward to the MP University session next week!

August 6th, 2015 4:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics