Using EFS over the network without a domain (all devices are Win2008 or Windows 7)
According to all material I can find, Windows 7 clients coupled with Windows 2008 servers do not need either "Trusted for Delegation" or certificates & profiles created on servers for EFS to work over the network. Given this, is it possible to use self-signed EFS certificates on a Windows 7 workstation to encrypt files on a Windows 2008 file server (say, Windows Home Server 2011) when none of these machines are members of a domain. The intention is not to use Homegroup sharing but to use traditional file shares with user accounts. If this can't be done, please give me a specific reason why.
June 20th, 2011 6:59am

OK, I've managed to make this work by connecting to the server in question - a Windows Home Server 2011 box - as the server administrator account. It doesn't matter who owns a folder, or if I completely nuke inherited permissions, I can only do it if I use the server administrator account. I also granted an account administrator priveleges by making it a member of the administrators group, but that also didn't work. So, it's gotta be a user right that I'm missing, yes?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 20th, 2011 12:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics