Using Disk2VHD to P2V a Server 2003 Machine
I'm trying to P2V a 2003 server to a Hyper-V 2012 R2 server. I've used Disk2VHD before with no issues. For some reason on this machine after I create the VHDX file and a Virtual machine and try to boot the server I get a 0x00007b blue screen. I don't have SCVMM in the environment, I'm hoping someone can point me to a solution where I can successfully P2V th
April 23rd, 2015 11:01pm

Just a thought, but have you tried using Processor Compatibility mode?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg299590.aspx

Assuming you are using two separate servers, the 2012 R2 one is likely to have completely different hardware to the 2003 one. Please bear in mind the 2012 R2 Hyper-V VM is going to use the hardware of its host, so you could potentially be running into hardware conflicts.

If you're looking to move servers, it's probably better to migrate rather than P2V to be honest. However, when I migrated over from SBS 2011 to 2012 R2 Standard I initially used Disk2VHD to create a clone for my test lab so I could perform a test migration. I didn't have any issues but I did use Processor Compatibility mode. Please let us know if this doesn't work fo

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 24th, 2015 6:47am

I'm trying to P2V a 2003 server to a Hyper-V 2012 R2 server. I've used Disk2VHD before with no issues. For some reason on this machine after I create the VHDX file and a Virtual machine and try to boot the server I get a 0x00007b blue screen. I don't have SCVMM in the environment, I'm hoping someone can point me to a solution where I can successfully P2V th
April 24th, 2015 9:10am

I'm assuming it's an OEM install. I'm downloading SCVMM right now in an attempt to try it. I've had this problem before but previously I've been going to VMWare and the VMWare converter has been able to reconfigure the machine and make it work. I found that article yesterday but I'm unable to even get into safe mode at this point. I'm going to setup VMM and convert the machine using that to see if that works.
April 24th, 2015 9:20am

VMM 2012 R2 doesn't have P2V capability. You want the Virtual Machine Converter.

You can find out pretty fast if it's OEM by getting the "My Computer" properties. It will have OEM in the product key string.

If it's OEM AND you have a good backup AND you have a key, you might try following the "upgrade" path to Retail/Volume in advance on the hardware. The problem seems to have something to do with the OEM installation because I never ran into this with other installation types.

April 24th, 2015 10:03am

I did not realize they removed such a basic function from VMM 2012 R2. I'll try the converter and if necessary go back to VMM 2012.
April 24th, 2015 10:10am

So I installed the Converter but it just keeps giving me the RPC server is unavailable error when I try to connect to the 2003 R2 server.
April 24th, 2015 10:55am

I'm not very knowledgeable on troubleshooting that product? Maybe this?

It might just be that it won't work on 2003... I didn't ever check to see what it supports.

April 24th, 2015 11:00am

Yeah, I turned the firewall off complete. I tried using the converter on another 2003 server and it gets further. I can't attempt a full imaging right now of that second machine though.

I'm starting to think this 2003 server just has some serious issues and can't be converted. I could probably get it to work in ESXi but then I'd have to convert it again and I may run into the same issue anyway.

April 24th, 2015 11:09am

Could be. Ironic that we all moved away from P2V because of all the hassles we had on 2003 and earlier OSes, but the newer ones typically survive P2V with substantially less drama.

Check the remote management services on that machine before giving up.

April 24th, 2015 11:13am

Yeah, I checked those. I've done a lot of P2V's, I feel like 2003 has a 50/50 chance of working properly but 2008 almost always works properly.
April 24th, 2015 11:15am

And a stop 7b means that the bootloader cannot find the entry point for the OS / or there isn't one.

Your resulting VM MUST be a generation 1 VM - Server 2003 is not UEFI compatible.

This also means that your original server must have an IDE boot device, if it was SCSI then you will end up with the stop 7b error.

And a generation 1 VM cannot boot from SCSI, only IDE.  So you have to fix the bootloader pointer and possibly a driver.

April 24th, 2015 6:25pm

That's a good point on the SCSI->IDE flip. I want to say that I tried this to no good effect, but if you're coming from a SCSI-based host, you can try modifying the BOOT.INI file. The easiest thing to do is use the Disk2VHD image and mount the VHD in another OS. In C:\BOOT.INI, change "scsi" to "multi" at the start of your ARC path.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/102873

That's the difference that 2003 sees between booting from a SCSI device and an IDE device. I'm about 60% sure I fiddled with this on mine and it didn't help, but your situation is already different than mine and my memory isn't that good, so...

April 24th, 2015 6:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics