Using 2 network interfaces
Can anyone give advice on getting dual NICs working at the same time? I have managed to do it in the past on other machines. Now, when the NIC2 is enabled and connected, you can no longer ping NIC1 from another machine. NIC1 stops working almost as soon as you connect NIC2 to something. (You can connect it to anything - a firewall appliance with a configured IP address or a cheap unmanaged switch with nothing else connected to it.) NIC1 resumes working normally The machine is running Windows Server 2008 x64 (not R2). I installed the latest network drivers in case that was the problem. When I connect the cable and things stop working, this event is generated: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-ResourcePublication Date: 2011/09/21 4:14:59 PM Event ID: 102 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: Event originating from the fdrespub service User: LOCAL SERVICE Computer: SERVER6.mynetwork.com Description: The service temporarily stopped publishing because of a power event. When I disconnect the cable and things return to normal, event 104 similar to event 102 says, "The service is publishing to the network." Bizarre, isn't it? I hope you can help me resolve this.
September 22nd, 2011 1:39am

If you want to use two network cards as a load balancing or redundancy you can team them using vendor software or you can bridge the network interfaces. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309640 Darshana Jayathilake
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 22nd, 2011 4:15am

Hi, Thanks for posting here. So are both NICs holding the IP addresses from same IP segment ? could you first please post the “ipconfig /all” results from this host here ? Usually , we will mix NICs by using Teaming , however this should be supported by NIC factory . Here are some article for reference: Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175767/en-us Using the multiple NICs of your File Server running Windows Server 2008 (and 2008 R2) http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2010/09/03/using-the-multiple-nics-of-your-file-server-running-windows-server-2008-and-2008-r2.aspx Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 22nd, 2011 10:35am

We are not planning to use load balancing or redundancy and the 2 NICs hold IP addresses from different subnets. Here is the IPConfig report: <tt>Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER66 Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : mynetwork.com Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mynetwork.com Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #46 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-C9-53-12-B1 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::adbb:719c:acad:ec9%11(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.47(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184557257 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-0C-14-44-00-1E-C9-53-12-AF DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #41 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-C9-53-12-AF DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a42e:d8b:fc84:5272%10(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.100.24(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.100.29(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.100.33(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.100.34(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.100.47(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.100.66(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.100.80(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.100.1 DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 167780041 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-0C-14-44-00-1E-C9-53-12-AF DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.100.31 172.16.100.32 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled</tt> The Multiple Adapters on Same Network article does not apply because they are NOT on the same network. The Using the multiple NICs article was interesting. I'd say that the illustration in point 2.4 most closely illustrates what I am trying to achieve. In fact, I took that illustration and made my own. See below. In step 1, I start with one NIC used and the other disabled. Everything is working correctly. In step 2, I enable the second NIC and give it an IP address in a totally different subnet. So far so good. In step 3, all I do is take a network cable and connect the second NIC to a switch. That's when something happens to the first NIC and no one can connect to the machine anymore. There is nothing connected to switch 2. It does not have its own IP address and does not try to do anything like DHCP or the like. Does this clarification on what we are doing help to give us direction? Cam
September 22nd, 2011 7:54pm

Strange... So, just to clarify, does the NIC1 become disabled or is it remain enabled with the link lgiht lit? Are you not able to ping it by IP, or just by name? pls clarify...Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 22nd, 2011 8:28pm

No, NIC1 does not appear disabled. In the "Network Connections" window, the status of NIC1 does not change. The light on the physical NIC remains lit. The machine can successfully ping out from it. Other machines fail to ping by IP or by name. Cam
September 22nd, 2011 10:16pm

byIP...If you can PING "out" but cannot Ping "in", that would lead me to beleive that there is some filtering going on between the hosts. Whether you can PING in or out, there is a two way communication that is occuring. If you can PING out, the ICMP messages are reaching the destination and making their way back to the server. If you cannot PING in, where does it stop? Try a tracert from one of your hosts to this server. Where does the packet stop? Also, take a look at the routing table on this multihomed system. Open a command prompt and type ROUTE PRINT. review the routes. Anything look strange? Also, I assume that the 10.1.1.x network does not exist anywhere else on your network. Focus on IP communication at the moment, don't worry about name resolution or any other higher level protocols. Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 23rd, 2011 2:22am

Hi Cam, Thanks for update. I agree , please post the route table form this server here. It seems like a source address choosing issue . I suspect that we may need modify the route entries on that server in order to make the connectivity up . Here are some article for reference: Multiple IP Addresses on a Single NIC http://support.microsoft.com/kb/149399 Source IP address selection on a Multi-Homed Windows Computer http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2009/04/24/source-ip-address-selection-on-a-multi-homed-windows-computer.aspx Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 27th, 2011 11:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics