Users unable to run shared file
An application that is commonly used often experiences an error that requires a registry entry to be fixed. Let's call that fix app_fix.reg. App_fix.reg is kept on a share drive so that users can apply the fix as needed. However, users are given an error message when attempting to apply the fix stating that they lack permission to run the file. The Authenticated Users group has Read & Execute NTFS permission and the Change Share permission. This is the only group with permissions to this file that users are a part of. Their effective permission should let them execute it. Is the permission being negated because it's a .reg file? Previously, adminstrators have been temporarily giving the users Domain Admin rights in order to run the file. I don't want to give users those rights just to run one file. How can I allow users to run just this particular file without giving them any other rights and without requiring administrative actions every time? Windows Server 2003 environment w/ XP clients Thank you.
November 16th, 2011 9:32am

Can you please provide an exact error message text?MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor; CCNA; CCSI
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 16th, 2011 9:49am

At the moment, no. I attempted to create a Test user account with the same permissions as another user who recently had the problem, but I had an unrelated issue with accessing the share drive from the test account. When another user experiences the problem I'm going to ask them to get a screen capture with the error message.
November 16th, 2011 10:05am

UPDATE finally: The exact error message when a user attempts to run app_fix.reg is, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
November 17th, 2011 7:02pm

I'd say, if no other file on the same share is being blocked, this could be some third-part software interference. Like, some antivirus monitor is blocking the file.MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor; CCNA; CCSI
November 22nd, 2011 4:12am

I'd say, if no other file on the same share is being blocked, this could be some third-part software interference. Like, some antivirus monitor is blocking the file.MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor; CCNA; CCSI
November 22nd, 2011 12:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics