Users in active directory groups not useable when configured in Analysis Services security

I' using a SQL Server 2012 SP1 installation with cumulative update package #7.

When I configure active directory groups in Analysis Server Properties under Security the included users can't establish a session with the server. When configuring the active directory users directly, it works.

Is this a know bug? If so in which cumulative update package is it fixed? Is it fixed in service pack 2? If it is not a know bug, has anyone heard about this problem?

• Edited by Alex2023 Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:51 PM
February 10th, 2015 4:50pm

Hi Alex,

Securing Analysis Services does have some similarities to applying security to a SQL Server database in Management Studio; however, the options are definitely much more limited. First, all SSAS permissions center around a role concept; second, all role members must be Windows / Active directory based.

SQL Server logins cannot be used! As such, security cannot be directly assigned to windows / active directory user or group. That user or group must be added as a member of a role. One other issue that may come up when working on a cube locally and UAC is turned on, security changes can not be completed unless Management Studio or Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) is executed in  "Run as Administrator" mode. The first step in setting up security begins during the SQL Server installation.

You can get more Details on following link - Configuring permissions for SQL Server Analysis Services

Thanks

Suhas

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 11th, 2015 9:53am

Hi Alex2023,

According to your description, when you configure permission for AD group to SSAS, it doesn't work. However, it works if you configure permission for AD users. Right?

In Analysis Services, it is supported to grant permission for AD users/groups. In this scenario, since you can grant permission to AD users successfully, it means the local ACL for users works properly. Does this issue happen only after you install CU 7? We've never have this problem reported. It sounds more like a AD issue, I suggest check your AD setting.

Reference:
Grant Server Administrator Permissions (Analysis Services)

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

February 11th, 2015 10:45am

According to your description, when you configure permission for AD group to SSAS, it doesn't work. However, it works if you configure permission for AD users. Right?

Thank you both for your reply. Yes, as you described it that is exactly the case on my installation.

Can't say if this problem occurred before CU7, because we installed it early in the whole setup process (without CU7 you can't open properties window do to an error).

To give you the whole picture, the users which use the tabular model in Analysis Services approach the system over Microsoft Excel with PowerPivot installed to process data.

We are servicing thousands of users and clients with the domain and there are no known problems at the moment. Therefore it is doubtful that it is a AD problem. My hope was that it is a known problem which can be fixed by installing a new CU or SP2.

• Edited by Alex2023 3 hours 17 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 12th, 2015 3:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics