Users home profile security
I have set up a shared folder on our server 2008 which is to be used as a home folder for terminal services users. How do I go about setting the security so that the users the only ones that have access to the folder? There are permissions for the top level share and also each subfolder to consider. Thank you.
October 6th, 2010 11:50am

The Shared folder will need the following setup -The users only need "Read" Access on the share. -The Security rights on the Share they will need the following Read Write List Folder Contents Read and Execute ***There is a difference between Share Permissions and Security Permissions so make sure you modify the right permissions on the steps above. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To setup each folder inside of the share you will have to turn off "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" To turn "Inheritance" off you will need to click on "advanced" button in the Security tab of each user folder. The option will be grayed out until you click on the "Edit" button. You will want to remove all inherited permission on the folder, and then add the user that you want to have access. The permissions I give my users is "Full Control" on their user folder, since I don't care what they do their own files. Edit: If you need more detailed instructions just let me know and I will post step by step instructions.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 6th, 2010 12:36pm

Hi D1ngleberry , Thanks for posting here. You might found the recommand securtiy settings for redirected home folder in the article below: Security Recommendations for Folder Redirection http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736916(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 7th, 2010 12:21am

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry its taken so long to respond. One question however - these folders are created automatically using Group Policy so I cant go into each one individually to set permissions. If I change permissions at the top level, will each users folder get created with only them having permission to access the folder?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 11th, 2010 1:34pm

Hi D1ngleberry, Thanks for update. You might like to grant permissions for "creator owner" account on parent folder , so that the users who create sub folder would inherit the "creator owner" permission from parent folder for their own account . The link i posted in my last reply would helps. Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 11th, 2010 10:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics